StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Attn: Wicked (PCV crap) (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=612)

QWKSNKE 01-22-2005 08:50 PM

Attn: Wicked (PCV crap)

Here is my response on the BM thread

Quote:

That has got to be the craziest shit I have ever seen. I have never seen a pcv system designed that way.

What I don't understand is, how does that work? So there is enough vacuum on the driverside to overpower the 'suction' of air going up the inlet tract to pull some of that air in through the passenger side valve cover, through the crankcase, and out the pcv of the driver's side valve cover?
Throw me a bone and why/when did Ford complicate the PCV system?

Italian LX 01-22-2005 09:14 PM

Re: Attn: Wicked (PCV crap)

I think Brad is trying to over complicate the PCV system. The reason it is there is to releive any pressure built up in the crankcase (caused by things like piston ring blow-by and bad valve seals).

Sendero 01-22-2005 10:51 PM

Brad is correct in saying that fresh "metered" air is drawn into the passenger side head, circulated through the block, then drawn out through the drivers side head. But in my understanding of the system and its pressure area's, this only happens at closed/low throttle situations (high vaccumn). Then at higher loads or WOT situations the flow path of the passengers side is reversed due to the postive pressure inside the block now needs to be evacuated. With the throttle open both ports now see a vacummn signal, a weak signal, but enough to move the blowby gasses and building pressure inside the block.

EZ SPEED 01-23-2005 04:21 AM

:shake: The Topic That Will NEVER DIE

Give it up guys...this topic is probably the easiest one to make yourself crazy over :crazy:

I have seen this topic go on for the past 3 years that I have been on F150online and they havent found an answer yet. :shake:

Italian LX 01-23-2005 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB ZILLA
Give it up guys...this topic is probably the easiest one to make yourself crazy over :crazy:

I would still say it's second to any EEC management question. :confused:

EZ SPEED 01-23-2005 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX
I would still say it's second to any EEC management question. :confused:

:lol: Good point Brian

Wicked 01-23-2005 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendero
Brad is correct in saying that fresh "metered" air is drawn into the passenger side head, circulated through the block, then drawn out through the drivers side head. But in my understanding of the system and its pressure area's, this only happens at closed/low throttle situations (high vaccumn). Then at higher loads or WOT situations the flow path of the passengers side is reversed due to the postive pressure inside the block now needs to be evacuated. With the throttle open both ports now see a vacummn signal, a weak signal, but enough to move the blowby gasses and building pressure inside the block.

Thank you Nathan, the sad thing is thats what I've been saying the whole time.

Normal PCV flow is ONLY during VACUUM condition, i.e. part throttle.
At WOT, its just as you said and the blowby gases escape out the pass side and into the air stream.

:nono: I can't believe that is so hard to understand.

Wicked 01-23-2005 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX
I think Brad is trying to over complicate the PCV system. The reason it is there is to releive any pressure built up in the crankcase (caused by things like piston ring blow-by and bad valve seals).

How did I overcomplicate things? By trying to fully understand or explain it?
Shit don't just happen, there a logical reason and I was just explaining.

Dayum! :jester:

Wicked 01-23-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Here is my response on the BM thread

Throw me a bone and why/when did Ford complicate the PCV system?

When? As long as its been around? Your cobra is like that.

QWKSNKE 01-23-2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicked
Thank you Nathan, the sad thing is thats what I've been saying the whole time.

Normal PCV flow is ONLY during VACUUM condition, i.e. part throttle.
At WOT, its just as you said and the blowby gases escape out the pass side and into the air stream.

:nono: I can't believe that is so hard to understand.

The reason it was so hard to misunderstand is because I had not seen a setup like that. The hood on my wife's car maybe has been opened 4 times since we have owned the car.

It was my own fault because i was comparing the PCV setup on my 93 and 94 which is nothing like that. All there is to the system on those is a PCV that vents to the inlet tract. That's it, no other "fresh air" lines.