StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   cant get oil leak fixed. (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=12133)

militarymustang88gt 06-14-2008 09:51 AM

cant get oil leak fixed.

dont know what the hell is going on. but i have oil coming out from under my drivers side valve cover. tried three gaskets and finally just put gasket maker on the last gasket and it is still leaking. i have ball peened the bolt holes on them so that they would grab and pull down more from where the bolts were tightened before and this is just mind blowing. i am 100% positive it isnt the lower intake. but i am just worried that it might catch on fire because it is dripping on the collector and i would have more time to mess with it if it were in auburn.

coupe 06-14-2008 01:29 PM

Warped valve cover maybe? Are you using the cork gaskets? Get the metal-insert silicone one. FELPRO has a blue one and Ford has a black one. My guess is somehow the valve cover and the rail it sits on are not seating well enough to let a gasket do it's job.

EHardy1971 06-14-2008 01:45 PM

Try cleaning out the valve cover bolt holes in the head,they might have some gunk down in them that's keeping the bolts from going in far enough.

SkurdalenFox 06-14-2008 04:57 PM

I agree w/ Matt and Ehardy. Also make sure you're not over tightening the bolts.

militarymustang88gt 06-14-2008 05:08 PM

i am using a torque wrench to tighten the valve cover bolts to 12 lb ft. i tried cork first then went with the rubber felpro ones that have the notches that hold it to the valve cover. then went and got thicker ones. and the thick ones after they started to leak i took them off wiped them down and put silicone on both sides and stuck them back on. let it dry overnight and still no luck. i am just gettin sick of all the little stuff. i am picky and oil leak is my number one hated thing.

Craig K. 06-14-2008 08:00 PM

try new valve covers, the Ford aluminum ones are nice look great and cost little.

I would try as coupe said to get the silicone ones with the metal ring in them, i have a set and have not had a valve cover leak in years

militarymustang88gt 06-14-2008 08:07 PM

i have ford racing ones. looked harder tonight and it isnt my valve cover or my lower intake. now i have no clue what it is. i think my buddy put too much oil in and it is running out of the dip stick tube. when i was saying earlier i had not checked the valve covers again and just saw a little puddle on the ground. but checked it isnt leaking now and i think it is just running out the dipstick hole on the oil pan since the dipstick is loose anyways.

EHardy1971 06-18-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarymustang88gt (Post 153506)
i think my buddy put too much oil in and it is running out of the dip stick tube.

:huh: Did he mistake quarts for gallons?

militarymustang88gt 06-20-2008 08:58 PM

no we put two quarts over like two weeks on the lifter vally to keep them from rusting and forgot. it is all fixed now but thanks guys.