StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Escape rear wheel hop (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=17434)

SkurdalenFox 08-07-2011 02:42 AM

Escape rear wheel hop

Can't believe I remembered my password... anyhow, gotta question about rear brakes that I hope someone can answer. 08 Escape, 4wd, rear drum brakes. When accelerating from a stop, I'm getting terrible rear wheel hop/vibration from the right rear. It occurs in two stages. from about 0-5mph, it goes away from 5-10mph, then comes back from 10-20mph. No other problems or vibrations at any speed.

I swapped wheels around, and it's still coming from the RR. 70k on the car, 4 front brake changes, original rears. Heavy mountain driving - 4500feet in elevation change mostly along a curvy rough dirt road for a commute.

I'm thinking it's either the brake shoes or the CV joint (rough road, terrible angle on the joint). If it's the brakes, I'll just swap 'em out, but if it's the CV joint, I won't have the free time to replace it myself. What do you guys think? Should I throw some new shoes on it, or is that completely unlikely to be the prob?

QWKSNKE 08-07-2011 08:25 AM

So the Escapes have an IRS?

I can't see brakes causing wheel hop. Before diving off into a CV axle replacement (which shouldn't be that bad) have you checked any of the bushings in the rear? My wife's 01 cobra has needed several bushings replaced since about 80k miles

yellowSVT 08-07-2011 12:28 PM

bearings?

SkurdalenFox 08-07-2011 10:37 PM

Yep, Escapes have had IRS since forever I believe. Considering I'm beating this thing to bits - broke two steering shafts, tore the front valance off several times, lost the inner fenders, and bent the sway bar links numerous times - I like the bushing idea too. All check out all your suggestions, guys. Thanks a bunch!

Doc_G 08-08-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkurdalenFox (Post 217057)
Yep, Escapes have had IRS since forever I believe. Considering I'm beating this thing to bits - broke two steering shafts, tore the front valance off several times, lost the inner fenders, and bent the sway bar links numerous times - I like the bushing idea too. All check out all your suggestions, guys. Thanks a bunch!

Damn son, what do you think you have a Raptor?

SkurdalenFox 08-08-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc_G (Post 217060)
Damn son, what do you think you have a Raptor?

Hehe, I didn't say I bent the frame! :jester: Actually, considering the abuse, I think it's holding up rather well.

I checked out everything in the suspension. Boots look fine, bushings and whatnot look fine, spring looks fine. However, if I grab the center of the axle with some vise grips, I can turn it ever so slightly without the ends turning. If I turn the drum, the outside edge of the drum will move about 1/8ths of an inch before the axle will spin.

So, I'm thinking that the inner and outer CV joints are worn, and those two stacked up are causing the vibration on acceleration. Sound like a logical conclusion?

QWKSNKE 08-08-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkurdalenFox (Post 217057)

:rofl:
Damn!

ItalianLX bought one of these last year, I am sure he will be glad to know how they hold up to your personal torture test! :D

coupe 08-09-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkurdalenFox
So, I'm thinking that the inner and outer CV joints are worn, and those two stacked up are causing the vibration on acceleration. Sound like a logical conclusion?

:yup: I think so.