StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EGR System (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=10713)

1sicklx 11-26-2007 02:36 AM

EGR System

Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR)

The EGR system is designed to reintroduce exhaust gas into the combustion chambers, thereby lowering combustion temperatatures and reducing the formation of Oxides of Nitrogen.

The amount of exhaust gas that is reintroduced into the combustion cycle is determined by several factors, such as :

engine speed
engine vacuum
exhaust system back-pressure
coolant temperature
throttle position

1sicklx 11-26-2007 02:38 AM

With that being said, I know that a lot of people opt to remove the EGR system altogether.

My question is what does deleting this system effect? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

Primary concerns for drawbacks are low speed drivability, fuel consumption, and idle quality (since as I understand it the EGR is closed at full throttle anyway)

QWKSNKE 11-26-2007 05:02 AM

The only benefit is to clean up the engine bay. That's it. I still have my EGR valve on the cobra but all of my smog stuff is gone so it probably isn't doing anything on my car.

natedawgg94 11-26-2007 12:09 PM

i deleted mine to clean the engine bay up and for the added room. really no difference in performance but everything is a lot easier to get to now.

coupe 11-26-2007 03:09 PM

:stupid: x2

Craig K. 11-26-2007 04:27 PM

lowers the intake air temp. essentially you are pumpimg exhaustinto the engine, grantit the system goes to by-pass under full throttle, but if you road race were you are not always full throttle then it will be a little benificial, helps out on carb cars too, and makes the car small nice and rich.

I think on a normal DD car there is no benifit other than adding to the pollution problems

LeeH 12-13-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sicklx (Post 136194)
With that being said, I know that a lot of people opt to remove the EGR system altogether.

My question is what does deleting this system effect? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

Primary concerns for drawbacks are low speed drivability, fuel consumption, and idle quality (since as I understand it the EGR is closed at full throttle anyway)

Drawbacks
1. Breaking Federal Law by increasing emissions.
2. Hurting part throttle economy.

Benefits
1. With the increase in greenhouse gasses we can look foreward to driving shorter distances to the ocean or Gulf.
2. Global climate changes increase vacationing possibilities.

SkurdalenFox 12-13-2007 09:51 PM

ahahaha! beautiful!

Italian LX 12-13-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeH (Post 137505)
Drawbacks

I don't beleive there are any federal laws that govern emissions on my 19 year-old car. :shake:

Quote:

My car has a 418 cubic-inch motor... do you really think I care about fuel economy? :rofl:

Quote:

Benefits
1. With the increase in greenhouse gasses we can look foreward to driving shorter distances to the ocean or Gulf.

Hell yeah! I love the beach and warm weather! :banana:

:D

rtusnake 12-13-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Drawbacks

Benefits

Al Gore? :popcorn: