StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fresh motor smoking? (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=17185)

BLOWN95GT 04-14-2011 05:47 PM

Fresh motor smoking?

Well the 357w motor I built for the turbo project is now smoking. It all started last weekend. I just got 200 miles on the fresh motor and cleaned the car up. I decided to change the oil before me, my wife, and 3 year old leech loaded up and headed to a car show. Before the oil change the car ran great no smoke, no problems what so ever. When wel left the neighborhood I looked in the rear view and there was a trail of smoke like the motor was blown up. I stopped checked to make sure there was no oil leaking on the ground or under the hood and nothing. The smoking stopped after a few miles like it never happened. Well after the car show the same thing leaving the parking lot and you want to talk about embarrasing! So I get home and decide it has to be the turbo drain line but look and there are no problems, it drains the same way it did before. I pull all the plugs and find all are fine except number 4 It is covered in oil. I decide it may be a leaking intake gasket so I change it and still the same results. I looked in the intake port on the head and you can see oil around the intake valve on the number 4 cylinder. So I change the valve stem seats and that doesn't fix it eighther. I did a compression test yesterday and all of the cylinders are showing 155 psi. Now I guess I am going to remove the intake again :banghead: and pull the motor, then drop the oil pan and look to see if I have a oil ring broke on the number 4 cylinder, and take the head to he machine shop to get the valve guides checked again.

BLOWN95GT 04-14-2011 05:50 PM

Here is a pic of what I saw when I pulled the intake the last time. The antifreeze is from removing the lower intake.
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/8244c2a4.jpg

EHardy1971 04-14-2011 09:11 PM

I know you said you changed the valve stem seals, but that's what it sounds like to me. :think:

SvoBrown 04-15-2011 03:15 AM

Nothing will smoke as bad as mine did at Lee's house the day I went over there. I feel the pain.

CrimsonRacing 04-15-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvoBrown (Post 214408)
Nothing will smoke as bad as mine did at Lee's house the day I went over there. I feel the pain.

That must have been some badass smoking then.........When we test drove the '94 after first engine swap,you would have thought the car was on fire with the amount of smoke trailing it.......Lee and I looked at each other like WTF!!!!!

:metal:

QWKSNKE 04-15-2011 07:49 AM

If it is smoking just on initital startup, then there has to be oil leaking down into that cylinder while car sitting.

Yeah Richard, Kerry's car was pretty bad. It was blowing coolant smoke everywhere

banditmwp 04-15-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 214411)
If it is smoking just on initital startup, then there has to be oil leaking down into that cylinder while car sitting.

Yeah Richard, Kerry's car was pretty bad. It was blowing coolant smoke everywhere

Yours wasn't exactly smog free at FFW after the 306 build...:poke:

TheJeanyus 04-15-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EHardy1971 (Post 214404)
I know you said you changed the valve stem seals, but that's what it sounds like to me. :think:

:werd: My old Thunderbird did the same thing. But the whole car was worth less than the cost/time to fix it. :D

coupe 04-15-2011 09:00 AM

I had a warped head and bad turbo on my first SVO... smoked like the space-shuttle on launch so I too feel your pain. Hard to believe a ring could have broken. Check the turbo turbine housing for "wetness" from oil...just to eliminate that being a source.

93cobra1928 04-15-2011 10:25 AM

Do a leakdown test on #4 you may have a bad seal or guide