StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Valve float.....?? (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=4235)

mustangmuscle 11-17-2005 07:42 PM

Valve float.....??

Ok, so this afternoon I'm coming home from work and have to "get on it" a couple of times to try and get out of this damned football traffic that has invaded my fair town.....Bama/Auburn game. Anyway, when I got on it, I heard this really horrible sound from under the hood....sounded just like valve float.....I was like, "What the *#@!@@* is this???? I just spoke to Luke and he said his "new" car was running like crap too. Does this little cool snap have adverse effects on these cars, and if so, why? Or could it be something else? My car has run super smooth from day 1. No problems whatsoever. That is, until today.....

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Chris

TheJeanyus 11-17-2005 08:41 PM

Re: Valve float.....??

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangmuscle
Does this little cool snap have adverse effects on these cars

Mine has never done that. The only thing cold weater does for my car is make it pull about twice as hard as it does in the summer time. :metal: :burnout:

QWKSNKE 11-18-2005 03:00 AM

Valve float in a mod motor?!?!? Is that even possible with stock cams? Seems to me you would have to be turning some major rpm to do that :shrug:

ChipR4cam 11-18-2005 06:50 AM

Could it be pinging. Too much good air, not enough fuel in the tune?

Pinging's not very loud though. Sounds like "shhhtick tick tick tick"

Scothew 11-18-2005 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Valve float in a mod motor?!?!? Is that even possible with stock cams? Seems to me you would have to be turning some major rpm to do that :shrug:

I've heard of stock SOHC 4.6's doing it when spun to like 7k. Never of a 4v though.

mustangmuscle 11-18-2005 12:19 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I truly have no idea what's going on. It may very well not be valve float....thats just what it sounds like.........ching ching ching, etc......when I really get on it and am into boost. And its sluggish...doesnt pull like it should...??

My tuner has sent me a new tune with 2 degrees less timing, to see if that will help. Also says I really need to consider a new MAF. When I got dyno tuned back in the summer, it was really close to pegging. Could this cool snap of weather contribute to the MAF finally surrendering.....???

Chris

Scothew 11-18-2005 12:20 PM

might have. How much is the stock maf rated for?

TheJeanyus 11-18-2005 01:36 PM

I thought the stock MAF was good for about 500 rwhp. You're not making quite that much are you?

mustangmuscle 11-18-2005 02:03 PM

Dyno tuned this summer and got 453rwhp. James said the pumps were close to max and the maf was also pretty close to max according to datalog. Said any little bit more and would have to address both issues......

Also, tune has 23 degrees of timing. Am thinking of trying decreasing that by 2 to see what happens......???

mj_8 11-18-2005 02:19 PM

My pumps were maxed at 470rwhp so that could be possible, I also ran out of MAF about then as well. I would address them anyway to be safe, I really doubt you will stay as is for much longer anyway and the BAP and MAF will already be in place and tuned for.

Could also be bad gas maybe...you run Amoco 93 or comparable?