StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   "Popping" noise when turning to the left? (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=12149)

TheJeanyus 06-16-2008 03:07 PM

"Popping" noise when turning to the left?

Well, it seems like every time I drive my car it starts making a new noise. :doh:

I took it for a ride yesterday, and every time I made a left turn (90 degrees or more, as in turning at intersections or into parking lots, etc) a loud popping noise came from the front of the car. It would pop every few seconds until I straightened the wheel. Any ideas?

Add this one to the noise coming from the front brakes, the noise that sounds an awful lot like ANOTHER bad belt tensioner, and the noise coming from the windshield wiper motor I still haven't replaced. :shake:

Sendero 06-16-2008 03:21 PM

Did we do coil-overs on your car?

TheJeanyus 06-16-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendero (Post 153633)
Did we do coil-overs on your car?

Nope, it has H&R race springs on it. They've been on there for a good long while now with no ill effects, though.

rtusnake 06-16-2008 03:43 PM

Don't make left turns, use the brakes or drive in the rain and you will be fine. :jester:Maybe I could check it out one day for you.

Italian LX 06-16-2008 03:46 PM

Can you duplicate the popping at a slow speed? If so, have someone walk beside the car while you turn in circles to see if they can hear the sound and pin-point specifically where it is coming from. :shrug:

Italian LX 06-16-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtusnake (Post 153636)
Don't make left turns, use the brakes or drive in the rain and you will be fine. :jester:

:lol:

TheJeanyus 06-16-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX (Post 153637)
Can you duplicate the popping at a slow speed? If so, have someone walk beside the car while you turn in circles to see if they can hear the sound and pin-point specifically where it is coming from. :shrug:

I've only noticed it when going slow and turning the wheel pretty far...like I said above, when turning into parking lots or turning at an intersection. Going around curves I have never noticed it. I've never noticed it turning right either. :think:

TheJeanyus 06-16-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtusnake (Post 153636)
Don't make left turns, use the brakes or drive in the rain and you will be fine. :jester:Maybe I could check it out one day for you.

:rofl: I need to go watch Tokyo Drift and take some notes. :jester:

Italian LX 06-16-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJeanyus (Post 153631)
Add this one to the noise coming from the front brakes...

What kind of noise is coming from the front brakes?

TheJeanyus 06-16-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX (Post 153645)
What kind of noise is coming from the front brakes?

It sounds like the pad is "chattering" on the rotor when no pressure is applied to the brake pedal. When pressure is applied, the noise goes away.