StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Need help with possible problem...... (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=665)

The Rock 326 01-26-2005 11:56 AM

Need help with possible problem......

O.K., my car is in the shop getting the cams. The passenger side went on fine. the driver's side went in, but when we were putting on the rockers, we couldn't turn the cams by the crank. the cams were having interference on the intake lobe. :think: I don't know if the cams really are different, or there is another problem. Any ideas???

:tlash: :tlash:

Italian LX 01-26-2005 12:07 PM

Re: Need help with possible problem......

Make sure all the followers are seated in the lifters correctly and that the timing chain is set correctly.

Scothew 01-26-2005 12:12 PM

Timing chain was my first guess, but I echo brian.

This is really going to suck if that shop sent you the right cam for one side, but not the matching one.

QWKSNKE 01-26-2005 12:13 PM

make sure the cams are in 'time'

QWKSNKE 01-26-2005 12:15 PM

something else...Is the car out of gear?

Italian LX 01-26-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
something else...Is the car out of gear?

If the car was in gear, they wouldn't be able to turn it over for the passenger-side follower installation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rich, but the way I understand is they had both cams installed and used the crank to move the lobes while installing the passenger-side followers and everyhting worked fine. Then when they went to install the driver-side followers, that's when the binding occurs.

From your post, it sounds like it was only the intake that is interfering. From this, I assume they can install all of the exhaust followers with no problem. Is this correct?

The Rock 326 01-26-2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX
If the car was in gear, they wouldn't be able to turn it over for the passenger-side follower installation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rich, but the way I understand is they had both cams installed and used the crank to move the lobes while installing the passenger-side followers and everyhting worked fine. Then when they went to install the driver-side followers, that's when the binding occurs.

From your post, it sounds like it was only the intake that is interfering. From this, I assume they can install all of the exhaust followers with no problem. Is this correct?

Yea, that is basically the problem.

The Rock 326 01-26-2005 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
make sure the cams are in 'time'

He said that they were??

Italian LX 01-26-2005 12:54 PM

So, describe the "interference" -- does it feel like the valve is hitting a piston?

Does anyone know if the 4.6L are set-up to be non-interference motors; if so, would his new lift from his cams change that?

The Rock 326 01-26-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX
So, describe the "interference" -- does it feel like the valve is hitting a piston?

Does anyone know if the 4.6L are set-up to be non-interference motors; if so, would his new lift from his cams change that?

Yes, valve to piston contact. He looked through the bore and saw it.