View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: adjustable shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LS1
His first language is french, not english. Attacking his grammar has nothing to do w/ the issue.
Quote:
I'd just like to hear some thoughts on it.
..and you got my thoughs on it. There was no way for me to know he's French and can't use a french to english converter in Word. Even still, he's a salesman and he said it in his own posts.

Quote:
He basically said any adj. set under #3k is going to do it.
That pretty much covers every street based shock in the catalog.

Quote:
What he is saying makes sense. Who cares if the people wrote the book on it did it that, it's probably from a cost standpoint like he alluded too. There's probably too much engineering involved to do hyd. valves on cheaper shocks.
..and why would you want to? Normally you get your suspension setup dialed in with spring rates, roll centers, ride heights, anti-squat, and wheel sizes THEN choose a dampener that falls withing the suspensions natural frequency. MM uses these same Bilstiens on their championship track car. Many OT'ers and AutoX'ers use the same shock. Only recently did Cadillac and Chevrolet make the jump to adjustables which use the "magic fluid" (magnetic). But as it was explained to me, it was for reliability reasons rather than "control" of the shock via engineering.

My Bilsteins are non-adjustable because they are matched with my spring rates. I would have to make a HUGE jump in wheel rate to neccesitate a change in dampeners or a settings change. The only problem I am having now is rebound which I am sure is due to my portly curb weight.

Quote:
My understanding is that at least w/ a secondary valve, you can make minor adjustments since the shock should be suited for the spring you picked out and only need minor adjustments. By just bleeding the main valve, you're messing w/ the total dampening and you shouldn't need to make such drastic changes.
If you are building a car that is going to drive down to 1/10ths of a second on Sebring or Road Atlanta, maybe. But I still think building a proper setup and matching all the components will put you into the right "range" of dampening. Could you use some minor adjustment? Sure and it would be based on weather, track conditions, tire compounds, etc. Is it worth $3,000 (US) on a street driven car, no.

Also, he mentions the bleed hole which is correct in his theory. But you also have to remember that the engineer's have calculated its value and what it does to the shock's travel. If I remember correctly, Edelbrock uses a "check valve" that closes the bleed hole when it senses jounce forces to ensure firmer shock control (stiffer compression setting). This is the same mechanism that is used on Baja racing vehicles which you and I both know take as much, if not more abuse, than a rally vehicle. If you apply this same theory to a Tokico 5-way adjustable, I am sure the "settings" of that shock are just some method of restricting the bleed hole. Koni could be the same way, but why change the engineering of the shock when its proven to work and to win? I would have to see more data on the bleed hole vs. secondary valve.

His "statement" is not wrong either. What he is describing is used on many "remote mounted" shocks. If you've ever seen on of those setups on a race vehicle its usually the fluid tank and valve. I just don't think its worth doing on a street based car.

I am not sure if you are looking at adjustable shocks for the Talon, but I would be more apt to recommend getting your suspension where you like it and then make the purchase for C/O's. We need to get on modding your IRS rear's camber curve and maybe even stick a sway bar back there to dial out some of that understeer.

This better?

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote