View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

2003 F250 FX4 Lariat 7.3 project

So, I have owned this truck for 17 years now and until the last 8 months or so, I have only had to do minimal maintenance on it and I have used it as a truck. From a reliability stand point, the 7.3 has been really nice on my wallet. Off the shelf edge evolution programmer has been installed since the 2nd week of ownership

However, now that I am finally employed again, the wife and I have plans now to pickup a new 5th wheel RV within the next 12 months so I am getting around to upgrading various items on the truck. I bought it in 2004 with 80k miles and it now has 166k miles on it. Low mileage for a 7.3. I had considered buying a newer truck for the newer creature comforts but damn trucks are ridiculously priced now ( including the value of my 7.3) and it seems they just don't have the reliability of this old truck

The expenses started with a water pump failure on my way to Sendero's house last October-November to help him with some stuff on his F150. Oreillys water pump, RIFFRaff billet tstat housing, OEM tstat, and radiator hoses installed along with a kiddy pool full of new antifreeze. (These trucks hold a crap ton of coolant and oil) I went ahead and order new braided fuel lines for both banks at the same time but have not installed them yet.

Then in December-January, I installed a new leather seat cover for the ass part of the rear seat, bilstein 5100 shocks, slotted front rotors, calipers/pads, and new pioneer speakers all around.

During the month of June I decided that since I needed new tires, I would go ahead and upgrade wheels that provided a bit higher payload rating as the OEM wheels were the weakest link ( I believe) The 5th wheel we have picked out has around a 2700- 3000lb pin weight loaded up. For those that don't know me well, this is only the 2nd time in my life I have bought a set of wheels for a vehicle. I hate spending money on wheels for no functional reason because it seems like money poorly spent. Thats just me, I don't judge folks about it, just something hard for me to overcome on my vehicles. Anyways, went up from a 16x7" OEM wheel to an 18x9 vision wheel. They offer an additonal 1000lb weight rating and hopefully the 18" wheel will offer a bit more stability do to sidewall reduction. Kept my overall diameter that I have run since I bought the truck 33"

Before

After

03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 07-11-2021 at 07:12 AM.
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote