Thread: 92 Notch
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
SkurdalenFox

Re: 92 Notch - Update 29APR2006

I’ve added the following items to my car to remedy a severe bump steer issue, as well as to address the lack of positive caster despite that my CC plates were maxed out.

H&R Sport Springs – to replace stock springs
Ford Racing Extended Ball Joints – to replace sn95 BJ’s
Re-conditioned, Front LCA’s with Prothane urethane bushings.

These items have allowed me to get a proper alignment, and good god the car handles sooooooooo much better now.

There were a couple issues with my front LCA’s. I was a little wary of re-replacing the ball joints, and since I had a spare set I decided to use new LCA’s even though it would mean buying new bushings again.

Previously, I had used Energy Suspension bushings with the shells. I had the bushings/shells pressed in by a local shop. This time I used Prothane bushings that re-used the old shells. No need for a shop this time.

I noticed something strange when I had the LCA’s side by side with their new bushings installed. Relative to one another, the Energy Suspension bushings I had in my old LCA’s biased the LCA rearward, while the Prothane bushings seemed to bias the LCA forward. I wonder if this is partly the cause of my previous inability to get any positive caster.

The new springs also helped cure my lack of caster. Previously, my rear LCA’s had ~3 inches of rise back to front. That gave the car a pretty severe angle. Now, it’s about an inch, maybe a little less – I broke my protractor. The front of the car sits a little higher than it used to, and the rear a lot lower.

I used the Ford Racing Extended ball joints with the spacers. To press them in I rented one of those ball joint press tools that looks like a big C-clamp. It worked really well. It takes some effort to press the BJ’s in and out, but the frustration factor is zero. It only took about 20 minutes to do both sides. It ended up being a lot faster and cheaper than having a shop do it. I was really happy with the results.

After installing everything, I did an alignment. Btw – a newspaper and grease sandwich makes a great poor-man’s turn-plate.

I was able to set the front to 4.5° positive caster, just shy of 1.0° negative camber, and 1/8” of toe.

I’ve yet to measure bump steer again, but it is greatly reduced. I’m really happy with the results. The car not only looks normal again, but it rides normally, handles so much better, and is much, much easier to drive.

Thanks to everyone on the board for providing insight and advice. It is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SkurdalenFox; 06-26-2007 at 11:54 PM.
SkurdalenFox is offline   Reply With Quote