Thread: '01 Lightning
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Update: Intercooler cleaning

Ok, some of you guys that have/had have L's and 03-04 Cobras (although not as bad as the Lightnings) know about the tendency they have to pull oil into the intake tract via the PCV valve. This problem is fixed with an oil seperator or catch can. Some of you remember where I put the LFP oil seperator on mine as SOON as I got home from the sandbox. The truck had 114k miles on it at the time, which equates to a lot of miles/years worth of Mobil 1 cooked into the intercooler. So yesterday, I finally dove into tearing the top of my engine apart to clean the I/C. I have to give my wife credit though, she didn't bat an eye when I told her I would be taking apart a large portion of the engine on "her" truck . I finished it up at 11 pm last night, and the cleaning portion was more time consuming than the actual wrench time. Oh, I also took the opportunity to fill in the silencer holes on the Eaton while I had it off. That bitch REALLY wails now! I also picked up over 1 lb of boost doing this. On to the pics...
Before...

After. And a HUGE difference...

Also cleaned out the lower intake...

....This wasn't JUST a performance related procedure, but also a gas mileage improvement one. It obviously increases gas mileage by creating more airflow, but also lets me get my money's worth out of the 93 octane (it requires 91 or higher) in the tank, by not decreasing the octane from the oil in the intake tract. I'll get an in cockpit video up shortly, but be forewarned, I don't have a damn Go-Pro hero, so it may be a bit shaky. But the sound will be noticeable.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote