View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Yknot

I can see your point with the traditional Big Block, but my problem with that route is it's been done a million times and is frankly, Low technology at this point.
I am interested in the car running several classes, including the new Roush Modular Muscle class. Some do require the street run portion, while other do not. I suspect once the car was started I would have to hone in on just 2-3 event classes I would compete in.
I am very seriously considering the 5.4-4V approach, while I love 4.6L's I think the added cubic inches would definitely help. I also Like what Shawn Hy-Land Motorsports has been able to do with Mod motors. He worked with World products to put together there new Aluminum Mod Block, which is suppose to be one bad piece.
The down side to Modular engines, is they get no respect at the drag way or in any of the publications. I read National Dragster every week, and there is never a piece on Mod motors or any parts for sale through all the many race parts carriers. This is sad, and I'm not to sure it will ever change, especially if (and when) Ford drops the modular engine in place of there new engine they have been working on for the last couple of years. I think they said the 2009 year would be the end of the modular engine program. If this happens, it would be a disaster to invest in a modular platform? It quit a shame, we are just now starting to see some interest by the top engine parts builders.
Transmission would diffenitly have to be a Liberty, lenco or Jeffco. And I still think the way to go with huge HP cars is the Torque converter set-up by several suppliers. You get the quick reaction, and consist antsy of a automatic with the strength and reliability of a manual.
Money....I think I was very close if not a little light on my original estimate of what it would cost to build this car. Money goes very fast with high end parts, the transmission alone would be $8500.00, for a 3-speed lenco W/reverse and a torque converter set-up. A competitive rear end complete with gears and axles would run $6500.00. The engine alone would be 15-20 thousand, induction system, $8500.00. That put's us at $43,500.00 right there! Yes I might save some, but these are very close figures. I'm not sure if you have seen Project COBRA'33 or Project Flathead, which are two separate projects I have going on now, but the cost to date for Project COBRA'33 is just shy of $115,000.00 and I am a long way from finished, which I figure will be another 25-35K. Project Flathead is a fun little project I started last year, and although I haven't done anything with it lately, I still have over $6,700.00 in that one.
The good part is I do already have the big trailer and truck to transport the thing in, and yes they are paid for. We also have all the support equipment needed to run the operation, so that also helps. It's amazing just how much it cost to physically visit the tracks, that is one expense many over look, and it really adds up to a major amount.
I have been in contact with several engine builders and different engine parts manufacturers, so I am starting to get a clearer picture of just what I need and should be using. Of-coarse they all say there product is the best, but bull shit only goes so are, the many quality makers like Aris, Eagle, Scatt, Manley, JE, World and AFR all seem to sell less and inform more. Thanks for the interest you have show, and I will continue to watch for insiteful post .
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote