View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Yknot

It's amazing what a little research will do, to clear up your questions.!.!
While I certainly don't have the whole engine figured out, by any means, I do have a basic ideal now of just want it is that I want, and need. Thanks for all the many post, and excellent advice given on this forum.....thanks.
I did figure out that if I stay with my compounded turbo's or combination Supercharger/Turbo's, I am very limited to only three (3) classes in the NMRA, that being Open Comp, True Street and Modular Muscle. The combination of multiple power adders is really limiting. If I was to loose two power adders then I would be eligible for several more classes, but in my mind the fun would not be worth it, so three (3) classes seems enough for now.
I also contacted several top Ford Modular engine builders and of the ones I spoke to I must admit I was the most impressed with SHM or Shan Hyland Motorsports. It probably didn't help that I had already read his book and watched his new DVD, but still I think he is the most knowledgeable and he has plenty of customers and records to back what he does up.
I think my best coarse of action would be to start with the new World aluminum 5.4 race block that both World and Shan designed together, just for applications like mine. The block features many improvements over the best of all the previous blocks, and does a great job of bringing the Modular platform up to par with the current crop of race blocks, be it Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac or even other Ford platforms. It's not cheap at $4,00.00, but then again if you would take a stock aluminum block and machine it as needed you would spend a lot of money and still not have the strength. I also think there is no substitute for cubic inches, so we can take this new block and punch it out to over 6.0L's of mean race engine, which will suit my needs greatly. I also plan to run the 4V heads, and with this new bore, they can really un-shroud the valves and install larger valves then ever thought possible, increasing flow by over 40% of the best heads in the past! That’s exactly what a blown engine needs, displacement and flow.
The bottom end has many possibilities, but I will determine that also latter. I do want to explore the possibilities of using Total seal rings on the top and maybe the second ring groove as well. I have used them in the past with excellent results. I would also like to run a Dry-Sump oiling system. While there is still much to learn and figure out, I feel good about the basic lay-out and design of the engine. I do need to be able to perform my own maintenance and even rebuilds so I see I have a whole list of special 4V tools to gather-up, I have the rest of the basics like compression testers, leak-down gauges and so on. From what I gathered, Snap-on or Mac both have a great selection of Ford Mod Motor specialty engine building parts? Anyone care to differ???
I feel so much better knowing I can get 6L of modular engine, that helps level an otherwise un-fair playing field. Hopefully it will all work-out, and I’ll definitely keep you posted. Thanks to all the posted.
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote