View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

As you can see this dizzy has 18L which is 36 degrees of centrifugal advance which with my intended 12 degrees base I would have 48 total which would be way to much.The other end of the arm is a 13L which is 26 degrees. That plus my 12 base is 38 total.Which exactly what I am wanting.
One other thing I would like to emphasize is dont take short cut and take away or add a lot to the base timing to get the total advance.you can end up with run on or dieseling or hard starts. less than 10 or 20 bas will give problems on most.

Now as far as the springs go they control how fast the centrifugal advances.Basically how fast the engine gets from base timing to full timing.On a street/strip hotrod I change the springs so that I have full timing in around 2500 RPM and in most cases this will give me the correct timing when the engine is at cruise or part throttle without the vac advance.
I hope this explains the recurve.If not I will try to edit it best I can.And as I learn more if that be the case.thx and I hope it helps.
Clyde
NORTH EAST ALABAMA STANGS

Last edited by waypastcrazy; 12-20-2010 at 03:34 AM.
waypastcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote