View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Re: Forced induction and fuel economy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Actually it is possible. But it does depend on a lot of variables. Type of supercharger, power output, power range, etc.
I just can't bring myself to believe that you could improve fuel economy by adding a supercharger. To me, it sounds like you would be going against the law of physics. How can you use available power (the crakshaft) to produce more power and heat and consume less fuel at the same time?

A turbo can get away with it because it utilizes "waste" to create it's power; the engine was never going to benefit from the exhaust gases anyway... however, the supercharger is robbing power that would have otherwise been used to turn the driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Actually when Dave supercharged his 97 GT several years ago, he actually did improve his fuel economy.
As far as Dave's improvement, how was this measured? Did he drive the exact same way before and after the blower when he measured the fuel consuption (highway and city)? Did he measure it by topping off his tank and then topping it off again a record the amount of fuel between fill-ups... if he did it this way, did he use the exact same pump both times? How many tanks of gas did he use to measure.

My point is that there are a lot of variables that could throw the test way off.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote