View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Re: Forced induction and fuel economy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
You fill up the tank. Drive from point A to B. Highway or city (whatever your normal drive is) Fill the tank up and calculate the average consumption based off what your miles driven are. Isn't this how everyone calculates mileage?
Well, there are a lot factors involved. Was he doing the same type of driving (same ratio of highway vs. city) when he measured fuel consuption with both set-ups? Was one possibly during a time that he may have been using the A/C more? Did he merely measure one tank of gas with each set-up? Did he fill up at the exact same pump that he first filled up at in order to measure the consumption.

That last point may sound crazy, but I found that there is big difference in when pumps shut off when the tank is full. I filled up one morning in Anniston and drove 50 miles to work. During lunch, I filled up and it took over 3 gallons to fill it back up. When I got back to Anniston, I filled back up at the same pump and it took just over 1 gallon.

My conclusion is that my coupe must get better gas milage when traveling east-bound for some reason.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote