View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Scothew
Censored Jihad

Send a message via AIM to Scothew Send a message via MSN to Scothew
Forced induction and fuel economy..

I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I wanted to post what I heard the other day that is now the beliefs of a friend of mine.

He said he wanted to supercharge his 04 mazda 6 (v6 automatic) and states that it will help his MPG. When I heard him say this I laughed. My first question was "is this what the manufacturer claims". Of course his answer was yes. But then followed with, I also had a guy at work give me a great physics explanation of how it would make sense and work the way he is hoping. I didnt the explanation and quite frankly it probably would have made my head hurt.

I explained that physics really wouldnt have much to do with it, as he would be forcing more air into the motor, therefore requiring more fuel from the car to support the air. Also that the blower is belt driven, therefore requiring power to operate and when not under a load in theory would create enough drag to possible rob him of power. I also said that with a good tune, the best I think he could hope for would be gas mileage equal to what he has now, but I know he wouldnt be able to keep his foot off the throttle so its a pointless arguement anyways.

Wasnt sure where to post this, but this was the funniest thing that happened to me lately.

.... Practice.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote