StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars

Old 07-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

2003 F250 FX4 Lariat 7.3 project

So, I have owned this truck for 17 years now and until the last 8 months or so, I have only had to do minimal maintenance on it and I have used it as a truck. From a reliability stand point, the 7.3 has been really nice on my wallet. Off the shelf edge evolution programmer has been installed since the 2nd week of ownership

However, now that I am finally employed again, the wife and I have plans now to pickup a new 5th wheel RV within the next 12 months so I am getting around to upgrading various items on the truck. I bought it in 2004 with 80k miles and it now has 166k miles on it. Low mileage for a 7.3. I had considered buying a newer truck for the newer creature comforts but damn trucks are ridiculously priced now ( including the value of my 7.3) and it seems they just don't have the reliability of this old truck

The expenses started with a water pump failure on my way to Sendero's house last October-November to help him with some stuff on his F150. Oreillys water pump, RIFFRaff billet tstat housing, OEM tstat, and radiator hoses installed along with a kiddy pool full of new antifreeze. (These trucks hold a crap ton of coolant and oil) I went ahead and order new braided fuel lines for both banks at the same time but have not installed them yet.

Then in December-January, I installed a new leather seat cover for the ass part of the rear seat, bilstein 5100 shocks, slotted front rotors, calipers/pads, and new pioneer speakers all around.

During the month of June I decided that since I needed new tires, I would go ahead and upgrade wheels that provided a bit higher payload rating as the OEM wheels were the weakest link ( I believe) The 5th wheel we have picked out has around a 2700- 3000lb pin weight loaded up. For those that don't know me well, this is only the 2nd time in my life I have bought a set of wheels for a vehicle. I hate spending money on wheels for no functional reason because it seems like money poorly spent. Thats just me, I don't judge folks about it, just something hard for me to overcome on my vehicles. Anyways, went up from a 16x7" OEM wheel to an 18x9 vision wheel. They offer an additonal 1000lb weight rating and hopefully the 18" wheel will offer a bit more stability do to sidewall reduction. Kept my overall diameter that I have run since I bought the truck 33"

Before

After

03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 07-11-2021 at 07:12 AM.
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Since we were taking the truck on a mini vacation last week to Helen Ga, I went ahead and upgraded the radio. I wasn't looking to spend as much as I did but due to chip shortages, stereos are hard to get. I wanted a larger screen and opted for the 10.1 monitor display by Kenwood (Model DMX1037s).
This unit is awesome! Wireless Android Auto, 4 camera inputs, big HD display ( I believe 4k) Now that I have spent some time in it, I love this unit, ZERO regrets on the cost! If you have a larger vehicle and interested in a larger display. I highly recommend researching this unit. A ton of features. Yes it has the connection for newer vehicles where climate controls can be done through this head unit. Research it if you are shopping.

I also installed late model tow mirrors (08-16 I think) that are heated, have running and signal lights embedded. Lights are wired up. I have not connected the heat part yet as I am unsure whether I need it. For any big towing I feel these are a must as compared to the tiny convex tow mirrors on the OEM 99-07 mirrors

As you can see, the convex tow mirrors are larger and actually useful even during normal driving
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 07-08-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Next up in the immediate future is 4in exhaust, a different tuner, and gauges.

I'm still trying to find a company that offers OEM like front seat covers with the Lariat embroidery so I can recover both front seats.

And I am also looking to finally get the truck repainted once my paychecks are rolling in again and get my savings account built back up. Then I will be ready for hitch shopping
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 07-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
EZ SPEED
Friends

Awesome ! Glad to see your truck is finally getting some love...LOL
You will love the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I loved the set that I had (well still have....they are stored in my building because I havent sold them yet)
I might have to look into that Kenwood, been thinking about upgrading.