StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

?'s on installing clutch quadant

how do you do it????? i finally got my steeda double hook kit in today to replace my broke factory unit and i got to looking i dont even know where to begin any help is appriciated

thanx

taylor
tayzoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
It's not the easiest thing to do. That being said.....depending on your stature the level of difficulty goes up proportionally to your size...lol (I'm 6'3" and 235) so I have fatish fingers. If you are smaller you can probably get away without removing the drivers seat. Slide it all the way back (seat), get out flashlight and get on your back, looking up under the dash (WAY UP towards the top) you'll see the plastic part that you are going to replace with that nifty billet piece. As I recall, there is a metal pin that goes through the middle of the quadrant with a "JESUS" clip on it (named Jesus because once you "TRY" to put it back on there it will fly off and you will holler "JESUS......" ) Needle nose pliers will help with this removal, as I recall I broke most of the old plastic one trying to get it out.

****EDIT*****

try this linkage and let me know if there are anymore questions....http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...02D302E302.pdf

Brad
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Make sure to pull the pedal up first, and remove the cable from the plastic quad. Then take it out, install the new one...

Getting the cable on the new one might necessitate a prybar under the car to "actuate" the fork forward....gives you enough cable to slip the end over the quadrant hook.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
89five0Gt

Ncontt nailed it. luckily i didn't have to remove my seat. i broke most of my plastic too.
89five0Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89five0Gt View Post
Ncontt nailed it. luckily i didn't have to remove my seat. i broke most of my plastic too.
LOL, it was quite a PITA as I recall....it's been at least 6 years since I did one, also a good point about pushing the shifter fork/actuator with a prybar, it gives the extra needed room/length to get the cable hooked on.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncontt View Post
. . . also a good point about pushing the shifter fork/actuator with a prybar, it gives the extra needed room/length to get the cable hooked on.
If you get an adjustable cable, you don't have to do this step and the install is a lot easier. I replaced my entire cable/adjuster/quadrant assembly with all new parts a couple months back and it took me less than 30 minutes to do it all.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
CrimsonRacing
Comfortably NUMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
If you get an adjustable cable, you don't have to do this step and the install is a lot easier. I replaced my entire cable/adjuster/quadrant assembly with all new parts a couple months back and it took me less than 30 minutes to do it all.

He also replaced a broken cable pretty damn fast a couple of years ago at FFW coming back into the track after the 30 mile cruise.........

Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

well i got the whole kit the firewall adjuster the billit quadrant and new cable is that what your talking about brian and if you can do it in 30 min ill pay you 14dollars an hour to install it deal?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
well i got the whole kit the firewall adjuster the billit quadrant and new cable is that what your talking about brian and if you can do it in 30 min ill pay you 14dollars an hour to install it deal?
Ha ha, just because I can do it that fast, doesn't mean it's still not a pain in the back... literally.

Besides, nobody works on cars for only $14/hour.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

i know but it was worth a try if i cant figgur this thing out could i meet somone somewhere to show me what i need to do becous i dont even see the plastic yall are talking about breaking so im basically clue less