StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #41
LeeH

Re: Hypereutectic vs. Forged

Not all Hypereutectic pistons are the same, The KBs have a higher silicon content than most the others. If your going to build a mild N/A or keep the boost under 10psi then there is nothing wrong with Hypereutectic pistons, If your planning on lots of HP then go forged. The reason for the hypereutectic piston popularity is because with low thermal expansion characteristics it can run in a tighter bore which promotes stability and strength. The problem is that hypereutectic pistons are soo hard they are brittle and forged are more ductile, Forged pistons are more forgivable where hypereutectics will fail in a catastropic manner with little to no warning. A forged piston will fail though too, Its more of a tuning failure than overpowering the piston material.
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #42
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH
Not all Hypereutectic pistons are the same, The KBs have a higher silicon content than most the others. If your going to build a mild N/A or keep the boost under 10psi then there is nothing wrong with Hypereutectic pistons, If your planning on lots of HP then go forged. The reason for the hypereutectic piston popularity is because with low thermal expansion characteristics it can run in a tighter bore which promotes stability and strength. The problem is that hypereutectic pistons are soo hard they are brittle and forged are more ductile, Forged pistons are more forgivable where hypereutectics will fail in a catastropic manner with little to no warning. A forged piston will fail though too, Its more of a tuning failure than overpowering the piston material.
Hey we need to talk about this....
Old 02-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #43
OnYx Gt

Send a message via Yahoo to OnYx Gt

I did not know there was even a debate possible on this subject... Hypathetic Pistons vs a Forged Pistons... Hmmmm, not really a hard descision for me at all... I dont car if I got a motor to build with 100 hp and 1 to build with 500 hp... it is gonna have a forged piston in it.... but... you can't fix stupid either... that is all I got to say.
All JMS Tuned, GT=Stage 3 ported heads, Custom Cams, MSD, A world of N2O. Cobra= Daily Driver w/ 4:30's, Cold Air, MSD, Long Tubes, x-pipe, magnaflow cat-back. 88 LX= Project car. 04 Busa = G-14 Classified
OnYx Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #44
coupe
Super Moderator

Well okay then. At least now though, maybe you can understand the difference in the two and maybe contribute something next time it is discussed.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #45
One_live95

Send a message via MSN to One_live95

lmao........

jason
One_live95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #46
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYx Gt
.... but... you can't fix stupid either... .
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #47
fireguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullit
Ex. say you were in college and was having to work part time to get your car running and it was your only transportation, you would want to get it running ASAP and cheaply as possible.
Why do stupid people do this?
if ya can't aford to pay, don't play so hard
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #48
OnYx Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy50
Why do stupid people do this?
if ya can't aford to pay, don't play so hard
right on dude... building a motor with hypathetic pistons is like wiping your butt before you take a dump...it just does not make any sense... it is like they wany to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t... then they are like..."it was a 100 shot... why did my piston turn to dust...?"
All JMS Tuned, GT=Stage 3 ported heads, Custom Cams, MSD, A world of N2O. Cobra= Daily Driver w/ 4:30's, Cold Air, MSD, Long Tubes, x-pipe, magnaflow cat-back. 88 LX= Project car. 04 Busa = G-14 Classified
Old 02-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #49
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYx Gt
wiping your butt before you take a dump...make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t
Does that make any sense?

Like stated before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK
I think for a budget and for a street mild strip (with no power adder) they are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH
If your going to build a mild N/A or keep the boost under 10psi then there is nothing wrong with Hypereutectic pistons
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
For a budget street/strip motor, you will be fine with hypers. For something serious, that you intend on hard-use with a power-adder, go ahead & put some forged in there...Hypereutectic would do just fine for the average street-strip car.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #50
OnYx Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
Does that make any sense?

Like stated before.

I am sorry, you are right, I am wrong... I am sorry for voicing my opinion, I will never do it again my lord... you have put me in my place, thank you.