StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #31
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Re: Race Tire Compund Discussion (SPLIT TOPIC: My new Bling! DUW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
Why does every contructive discussion in a technical thread have be a gay fight?

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #32
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Like you said, it's sort of a pointless discussion like the definition of what "stock" is. I don't think there's any rule set in stone for the precise definition of street tires or race tires.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #33
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul
Re: My new Bling! DUW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX

Therefore, your statement about all DOT tires working well with standard weather issues is wrong.

Show me were I said "ALL"... You assumed I meant all....as stated above, my point in this entire post was regarding the tires Nathan specified as "Non street tires" which are tires from 160-250 in treadwear rating.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #34
svopaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
Like you said, it's sort of a pointless discussion like the definition of what "stock" is. I don't think there's any rule set in stone for the precise definition of street tires or race tires.
I don't think it is anywhere near the "stock" discussion....and although it's not a "set in stone rule", I go by what the Tire industry uses as standards for tires. Nathan's "opinion" may be different but it's an opinion whereas I consider what the entire industry uses as the actual fact of a tire description.

At this point though it has gotten to the pointless level....I provided facts from the tire industry to show my point on why a 160-250 treadwear tire IS in fact a "street" tire. Unless facts can be shown to the contrary it is no longer a valid arguement and just "opinions".
Old 05-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #35
tacbear
LE equipment inventor....

tacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #36
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul
At this point though it has gotten to the pointless level....I provided facts from the tire industry to show my point on why a 160-250 treadwear tire IS in fact a "street" tire. Unless facts can be shown to the contrary it is no longer a valid arguement and just "opinions".
Quote:
A Street tire by definition is a tire that meets DOT requirements for use on a public road.
The so which argument are you using, the industry or DOT? Choose carefully because it matters...

Quote:
I don't know about those but I do know for a fact that Nitto Drag Radials work pretty well in the rain.....solid rain on a 1000 mile trip from NJ to TN in sometimes extreme downpours....a Friends SVO never once lost traction....so yes, I would consider them "streetable"....though not technically a "street tire".
They've got a DOT approved number for use on the street. Therefore it makes them a street tire by your definition above right?

Quote:
The category for "race" tires is:
-Competition (IE: BFG G-Force T/A Drag Radial/ Kumho Victoracer V700)
DOT approved, so its available for use on the street and a street tire by your definition above.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #37
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Re: My new Bling! DUW

Quote:
Show me were I said "ALL"...
Okay, here you go:
Quote:
A Street tire by definition is a tire that meets DOT requirements for use on a public road....meaning that it will work well with standard weather issues such as rain and hot dry days....
In your statement, you are calling ALL tires that meets DOT requirements a "street tire" and that they work well in the rain... shall I remind you that ET Streets and Quicktime Pros meet DOT requirements.

. . . would you like to retract your statement now?

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #38
svopaul

OK, maybe DOT wasn't the best choice....regardless show me how you can justify that a tire treadwear rating of 160-250 is NOT a street tire by YOUR definition?

You want to harp on DOT and maybe that wasn't my best choice of an example but it was late in the day....you still are dancing around or ignoring everything else I brought up.....therefore making the rest of this a waste of time

Treadwear rating of 160-250 = NOT a "street tire"....I'm waiting...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #39
svopaul

Come on now Brian and Nathan.....try to Gig me on some trivial unrelated minor detail (DOT) really unrelated to the original issue and avoid the actual issue I am presenting??
Old 05-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #40
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
OK, maybe DOT wasn't the best choice....regardless show me how you can justify that a tire treadwear rating of 160-250 is NOT a street tire by YOUR definition?

You want to harp on DOT and maybe that wasn't my best choice of an example but it was late in the day....you still are dancing around or ignoring everything else I brought up.....therefore making the rest of this a waste of time

Treadwear rating of 160-250 = NOT a "street tire"....I'm waiting...
Thats funny. Your gording me into proving to you that X is not Y when I never presented it as fact. This line of reasoning smells of straw man fallacy considering I never presented my "opinions" as law. Remember, you challenged my reasoning.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote