StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
ujslost

Re: Can you turn slotted and dimpled rotors?

I have slotted rotors on the front of my 89 and they were fine until i changed pads and put the red box raybestos pads on, I take it these pads are unusually hard, because now my rotors look like i drove the car with a worn out pad and had grinding. because now its had little grooves all the way around the rotor. I havent had my slotted rotors turned and probly wont, I will buy a stock replacement when i need to . Why? because slotted rotors are a waste of money IMO. I havent seen 1 bit of use from them that is any better than a stock rotor. I dont care what charts and tests may prove, because to me, my own personal experiences speak for themself to me. If ya end up needing new rotors and you will one day, buy stock replacement and save your money instead of buying slotted rotors! AS far as pads i will not buy a raybestos again either. The best pads i have bought are the 1 year warranty pads from autozone or advance auto because they are softer and seem to have less dust for me. the life time pads are harder and just eat rotors up.
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujslost
I have slotted rotors on the front of my 89 and they were fine until i changed pads and put the red box raybestos pads on, I take it these pads are unusually hard, because now my rotors look like i drove the car with a worn out pad and had grinding. because now its had little grooves all the way around the rotor. I havent had my slotted rotors turned and probly wont, I will buy a stock replacement when i need to . Why? because slotted rotors are a waste of money IMO. I havent seen 1 bit of use from them that is any better than a stock rotor. I dont care what charts and tests may prove, because to me, my own personal experiences speak for themself to me. If ya end up needing new rotors and you will one day, buy stock replacement and save your money instead of buying slotted rotors! AS far as pads i will not buy a raybestos again either. The best pads i have bought are the 1 year warranty pads from autozone or advance auto because they are softer and seem to have less dust for me. the life time pads are harder and just eat rotors up.

Depends on what rotors you use. There are a lot of cheap slotted rotors out there that are not any better than stock.

My personal experience is with my Baer front kit on the my 93 cobra. It came with slotted and cross drilled 13" rotors and full on metallic pads. These rotors work very well and have not warped yet. Trust me, I have used them very hard and they work very well and have never got to hot to cause brake fade or emitted a smell. I am currently running the performance friction pads with them from Autozone because when the metallic pads were cold my line loc would not hold the car at the track. (they have to be warm in order to stop good). I am hoping these pads will work better with the line loc but I can tell you they don't stop near as well as the pads that came with the Baer kit).
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #13
TheJeanyus
Administrator

The way you drive the car determines whether or not slotted rotors are necessary. Unless you're autocrossing, open tracking, or driving hard through the corners on the street (such as the Dragon Run), you'll never notice any improvement with slotted rotors.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #14
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

I can feel the autozone rotors we put on Ava's car now feel warped when braking from a high speed. But the way the thing is geared + all the slow people forced me to ride the brakes alot.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
mj_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple1995Pony
.....what kind/size are the brakes anyway?
Not sure of the make of the rotor, but they are stock 03 COBRA size I believe.

RWTD TUNED - STIEGEMEIER STAGE IV - 519 RWHP / 545 RWTQ
mj_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #16
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Stock Cobra brakes are 13" front, 11.65" rear.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote