StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

tranny options

ok so i just broke third out of my newest stang shifted ointo third and just big snap and then alot of metal crunchin sounds clutch pushed in it stops, neutral w/ clutch let out sounds like its falling out it drive the same in 1,2,4,5 besides the loud rattling sound and in third it feels like the motors tryin to jump out and kill somone. i dont know what to doi becouse this is the 3rd t-5 ive brock not even gettin on the throttle so i need something to in thats going to be the easiest/cheapest to install. i dont know what tranny will bolt in its place i just always put in another t-5 and i am tired of pullin trannys any help is appriciated

taylor
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

if anybody has a beefier transmission for sale let me know becouse to get the money i have to sell the other black mustang so then i will have no car to drive so i need anything asap

thanks taylor
Old 09-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Talk to Bandit. He has a hookup on TKO 600's
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
ok so i just broke third out of my newest stang shifted ointo third and just big snap and then alot of metal crunchin sounds clutch pushed in it stops, neutral w/ clutch let out sounds like its falling out it drive the same in 1,2,4,5 besides the loud rattling sound and in third it feels like the motors tryin to jump out and kill somone. i dont know what to doi becouse this is the 3rd t-5 ive brock not even gettin on the throttle so i need something to in thats going to be the easiest/cheapest to install. i dont know what tranny will bolt in its place i just always put in another t-5 and i am tired of pullin trannys any help is appriciated

taylor

Not all T5s are the same, There are 4 different WC T5s and all 4 have different Tq ratings.

1. First gen WC 265ft lb tq rating used in all v8 mustangs from 85-90
2. Second gen WC 300ft lb tq rating used in all 5.0 v8 from 90-95 and all 94-04 v6 mustangs, Later trans can be converted for use in a fox body(ask me how if interested).
3. T5z was offered through FMS/FRPP only, It has a 330ft lb tq rating.
4. WC 4 cyl T5 used from 85-93 and had a 240ft lb tq rating.

The easy way to tell what tq rating trans you have is to look at the cluster gear and read the numbers stamped on it.

052 is the 265ft lb gear set
065 & 068 is the 300ft lb gear set
048 & 054 4 cyl 240ft lb gear set
070 is the T5z 330ft lb gear set
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are different between all 4 tq ratings with the odd ball ratios going to the 4 cyl T5.

First gear ratio in the transmissions are as follows.
052 has 3.35 first gear
065/068 has 3.35 first gear
070 has 2.95 first gear
048/054 has 3.97 first gear

Another T5 will be cheaper than stepping up to a Tremec.
90GT
93GT

Last edited by LeeH; 09-21-2008 at 11:12 PM.
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
banditmwp
Welcome to America!

Send a message via AIM to banditmwp Send a message via Yahoo to banditmwp
you can get an astro t5 rated for 350 hp for 650. that's the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade.

www.astroperformance.com

91 GT Convertible

2006 Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab
2014 Peterbilt 337/Marion 22' box
banditmwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditmwp View Post
you can get an astro t5 rated for 350 hp for 650. that's the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade.

www.astroperformance.com
The A5 is a good trans but it isnt cheap plus its not HP that kills the transmission its Tq, Astro uses the same gear sets as Liberty.
90GT
93GT
Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

cool i am just not sure how i am going to ship my core and how long it takes to get the tranny here cause i have to sell my only other running car to buy this tranny and clutch. also i dont understang why i am hearing jknocking noises from the bellhousing i sound like somone is beating in the tranny tunnel w/ a baseball bat, fuggin crazy
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
LeeH

When you break teeth off of a gear you will have a knock or crunching sound since the all the gears riding on the cluster gear(countershaft) are turning anytime the input shaft is turning wheather the transmission is in gear or neutral. The input shaft floats inside the turning gears until you shift it, When you shift the sliding clutch mechanically connects the selected gear to the main shaft. So the reason it's knocking or crunching is either trash stuck between the teeth on a gear(knocks) or broken teeth causing a tooth mismatch(crunching).
90GT
93GT
Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
cool i am just not sure how i am going to ship my core and how long it takes to get the tranny here cause i have to sell my only other running car to buy this tranny and clutch. also i dont understang why i am hearing jknocking noises from the bellhousing i sound like somone is beating in the tranny tunnel w/ a baseball bat, fuggin crazy
Where have you been getting your T5s from? What car are you getting rid of and what exactly are you buying?
90GT
93GT
Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
coupe
Super Moderator

Was this the T5 you got from me? I am beginning to wonder if there is a mis-alignment somewhere on installation... that could certainly cause breakage. Taylor, there is no reason your setup should be going through T5's that easily. Your car is not that powerful and not that heavy.

As for the knocking sound...There might be a chance the pressure plate is contacting the inside of the bellhousing. The SPEC's are a little bigger and I've seen about 5 of them (out of thousands) that were slightly contacting the bellhousing inside (aluminum casting flash). If that's what's happening, the simple fix is to just grind a little bit of the bellhousing where the contact is made (it will leave a witness mark). Clearance it and it will be fine.