StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #21
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
Where do you have your PCV valve venting too. I learned the hardway not ot vent back into the induction system. Need to run it to a catch can
It's actually routed back in. No problems yet....the seperatorjust has to be emptied occasionally.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #22
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756 View Post
It's actually routed back in. No problems yet....the seperatorjust has to be emptied occasionally.

Just an FYI, oil fumes are just as bad at lowering octane in the combustion chamber as actual oil is.

Ask me how I know
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #23
NightHawk756

Quote:
Just an FYI, oil fumes are just as bad at lowering octane in the combustion chamber as actual oil is.

Ask me how I know
Roger that!

Yeah, it seems that it's just barely any oil and mostly water from condensation that ends up in the seperator. But any oil is still worse than none. I'll have to keep in mind that I may have to eventually go the route you did with a catch can.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:10 PM   #24
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Roger that!

Yeah, it seems that it's just barely any oil and mostly water from condensation that ends up in the seperator. But any oil is still worse than none. I'll have to keep in mind that I may have to eventually go the route you did with a catch can.
normal driving and a little boost will be 'ok' but don't hammer on it a whole lot until picking up a catch can.

I shot the #3 fire ring out from underneath the head earlier this year because of detonation from oil fumes coming into the induction
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #25
NightHawk756

I think my o-ringed heads helped a good bit. I put about 800 miles on the car after about 5 dyno pulls. And those miles weren't all just babying it. And then it made about 12 dyno runs all while increasing boost before the gasket blew on #8. And that was before the intake baffle/seperator was added.

Do you have any other type of crankcase evac like a valve cover breather or anything???
Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 AM   #26
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
I think my o-ringed heads helped a good bit. I put about 800 miles on the car after about 5 dyno pulls. And those miles weren't all just babying it. And then it made about 12 dyno runs all while increasing boost before the gasket blew on #8. And that was before the intake baffle/seperator was added.

Do you have any other type of crankcase evac like a valve cover breather or anything???
yeah. LH valve cover has a breather and I had another PCV on the RH valve cover.

-but-
Going to the standard tension rings (the only reason I tore the engine down a month or so ago) has helped my problem tremendously. Paul had ordered me low tension rings originally and I didn't know it until it was to late
Old 12-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #27
NightHawk756

Quote:
yeah. LH valve cover has a breather and I had another PCV on the RH valve cover.

-but-
Going to the standard tension rings (the only reason I tore the engine down a month or so ago) has helped my problem tremendously. Paul had ordered me low tension rings originally and I didn't know it until it was to late
Ahh ok.

I wonder if he knew he ordered those or if that's just what his distributor sent and he didn't know it? Makes me wonder what rings I have.

How do you know? Does it have an affect on combustion? Or excessive blow-by or something?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #28
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Ahh ok.

I wonder if he knew he ordered those or if that's just what his distributor sent and he didn't know it? Makes me wonder what rings I have.

How do you know? Does it have an affect on combustion? Or excessive blow-by or something?
my machinist noticed it when reviewing the part number when the engine was being built. Also, that is when my car started having boost issues. Since they were low tension, the boost was collapsing the rings and going past the rings causing excessive pressure in the crankcase. This in turn was forcing more oil and oil fumes out the PCV system and going into the intake track. I killed 3 sets of head gaskets due to this over the course of a year. Unfortunately it took me over a year to figure this out.
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #29
NightHawk756

Update:

Carried the car back to the dyno for some more minor tuning. It made 482/526 at 10lbs. Which is right at what it was making at 15lbs. with the oiling problem. And that's with pretty conservative timing/fuel for the moment.

Here soon I'll be installing a 3 bar map and turning the boost up.

Lee: I'm now using an evac system like we were talking about. No canister yet, just a filter on the end of the evac line for the moment. This in conjunction with the oil seperator that was already installed. Thanks for the advise!

Last edited by NightHawk756; 04-07-2007 at 11:22 AM.
NightHawk756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #30
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk756 View Post
Update:

Carried the car back to the dyno for some more minor tuning. It made 482/526 at 10lbs. Which is right at what it was making at 15lbs. with the oiling problem.

Here soon I'll be installing a 3 bar map and turning the boost up.

Lee: I'm now using an evac system like we were talking about. No canister yet, just a filter on the end of the evac line for the moment. This in conjunction with the oil seperator that was already installed. Thanks for the advise!
No problem. Hope that clears any potiential issues up.
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy