StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

I did not know there was an alloy intake for the 4.6
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus View Post
Exhaust, intake, gears, subframe connectors, and suspension mods are the first things I'd do.

The PI swap will make a big difference, but it's a lot of work (and very expensive if you pay someone to do it). IMO save that for after you've done the simpler stuff. A blower will be safe for about 400 rwhp with a good tune, but any more than that and you'll need a built short block if you want it to stay together.
+1 except for the exhaust. Without changing heads, cams, and intake your exhaust isnt going to be a major restriction and changing will not get you alot of power on a n/a non pi 4.6.

By the way, a PI swap means higher compression (about 10.5 to 1 if I remember correctly) and does not really facilitate the addition a blower. The non pi 4.6's are just such a "mixed bag". A blower isnt going to do that much without a decent h/c/i setup and if you do the pi swap you end up with too much compression for a good blower setup. Kind of like being damned if you do and damned if you dont. True it is all in the tune, but higher compression on a blown motor means your tune has to be that much better and leaves less room for error. Nitrous does much better at higher compression than a blower or turbo. Like joesph said there is always the chance of scattering your engine with nitrous, but in my opinion that just comes with the territory when using power adders of any type.

Also going back to Joesph's daily driver point, a blower may not be the best idea for reliable transportation either. Once you get the kinks worked out sure, but most bosses dont like to hear that you cant come to work because the blower belt flew off or because you think your a/f is way to lean.

Personally I would look into a good set of ported and polished non pi heads, a good set of cams, and slap a roots style blower on it if you really want good power and reasonable reliability. You would end up with better flow from improved heads and cams, as well as the roots style blower would replace the plastic intake and provide better flow there as well.

I definitely second gears and suspension work. Gears really do wake up the 4.6's as they are alot better on the top end from what I have seen. Suspension work, to me would be the best thing to go with if you really want a fun car. Sure it is cool to drag race and have great power but there is something to be said about blasting down a nice curvy road as well.

Last edited by joker; 01-31-2007 at 07:49 AM.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyInBlack View Post
Professional products makes one for the pi 4.6's, but I am not sure about the non pi cars.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #14
GoldnGT
.RAR

Send a message via AIM to GoldnGT Send a message via MSN to GoldnGT Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnGT
wow.. 529? thats expensive... looked like they did have one for the 96-98 model as well and it was much cheaper =(
GoldnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

I like the pi swap with nitrous idea. Thats what I plan on doing with my 2v motor I have. It will be a daily driver but won't spray it that much.
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #16
mustang1549
Friends

Send a message via Yahoo to mustang1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtusnake View Post
It will be a daily driver but won't spray it that much.
i said the same thing. went from the 90 to 125 shot after one spray.
mustang1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #17
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1549 View Post
i said the same thing. went from the 90 to 125 shot after one spray.
I didn't say how much I was going to spray, just not do it alot
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #18
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
+1 except for the exhaust. Without changing heads, cams, and intake your exhaust isnt going to be a major restriction and changing will not get you alot of power on a n/a non pi 4.6.
Yeah I know, but exhaust is something you are pretty much required to do on a modded Mustang, right? It's mainly for sound, but that's an important part of enjoying your car IMO.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyInBlack View Post
Bullitt intake for PI heads. FRPP used to sell an intake very similar to the Bullitt, except the ports were the same shape as the non-PI head intake ports, I assume they still do.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #20
myillwillinc

when i did the PI swap with headers/x-pipe and already had a couple bolt ons, it felt like a completely diffrent car. if you can do the swap yourself i would before a blower or nitrous. IMO

PowderCoating and Anodizing: http://www.illwillinc.com/
myillwillinc is offline   Reply With Quote