StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

screw in freeze plugs

Hey all got a small question. Is screw in freeze plugs worth the time and effort to strengthen a block in a 600 to 800 hp nitrous application big block? I have never used them just wondering if someone has had experience with them. thx in advance all opinions are welcome.
NORTH EAST ALABAMA STANGS
waypastcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypastcrazy View Post
Hey all got a small question. Is screw in freeze plugs worth the time and effort to strengthen a block in a 600 to 800 hp nitrous application big block? I have never used them just wondering if someone has had experience with them. thx in advance all opinions are welcome.

Well they dont really strengthen the block but they do insure you dont spit one out half track though.
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Craig K.
Nothing new here

I had built alchy injected outlaw motors before that ran standard style of press fit freeze plugs and never had problems.
These motors were in the 700+hp range, and ran for 20+ minutes pretty much at over 8,000 rpm.

I would not think the benifit would be the cost, unless you can do it for parts cost only.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
coupe
Super Moderator

I wouldn't do it either. Just more machining time and money.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
BAD INT

not worth doing to a stock roller block
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K. View Post
I had built alchy injected outlaw motors before that ran standard style of press fit freeze plugs and never had problems.
These motors were in the 700+hp range, and ran for 20+ minutes pretty much at over 8,000 rpm.

I would not think the benifit would be the cost, unless you can do it for parts cost only.
Agreed but you would be suprised how many people there are that dont know how to install freeze plugs correctly.
Anyway I wouldnt do it unless the engine was apart and no other machinework was performed prior to installation, Those plugs a NPT and will distort the block(even just a slight amount matters)when they are installed. This is a similar reason as to why torque plates are used, Every fastener or plug causes some amount of distortion when installed.
90GT
93GT

Last edited by LeeH; 07-29-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD INT View Post
not worth doing to a stock roller block
I would say its a 385 series block judging from his post.
90GT
93GT
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypastcrazy View Post
Oh and the weak link in the 385 series engine family is having only 10 head bolts, I have seen them lift the heads at 1100-1200HP. My jet boat never had any problems and it was making close to 950 on the bottle, The block was an old D1VE casting 4 bolt CJ block. It was enough to push my 21 1/2' 3300# boat 97mph, I wanted a Sanger or Youngblood because it would have run 110+ in one of those hulls.
90GT
93GT
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

From what I know,and have read,the main reason and benefit from this on the original BOSS 302's was mainly to strengthen the block around the motor mount area,and to keep the cylinders from distorting.This was due to the fact that the BOSS's were originally designed for the Trans-Am racing series,which was road course style racing,where "lift and stab" on the throttle was the norm IE;alot of sudden torque induced stress to the center of the block.I can see it being beneficial if you're running solid mounts,but IMHO,it would be cheaper,and MUCH more beneficial to halfway fill the water jackets with block filler,like "hard blok",or something equivalent.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

So in the real world even press in plugs need to be installed before machining correct?I have give a lot of thought as to do this and block filler trying to make up mind. This is going to be my first round with 500 na hp and possibly 3 to 500 of nos just trying to cover bases before I start machine work. thank u guys for opinions.I will also be doing some oiling mods
NORTH EAST ALABAMA STANGS
waypastcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote