StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Crzypny

EGRs

Could someone please explain the purpose of the EGR more clearly to me? I thought I had read that it has something to do with monitoring the gases coming off the exhaust and relaying it to the computer so that it can adjust fuel/air accordingly. Is this correct?

How would it affect the engine if it is not doing it's job properly? Can you by-pass it and if so what is involved in doing so?
Crzypny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

The EGR is Exhaust Gas Return. It allows exhaust gases to be fed back through the intake at times determined by the computer and engine vacuum. It's mainly an emissions feature and will mostly effect the amount of pollution your car emmits.

The valve is design to never open at 0 vaccuum and therefore will never effect WOT acceleration if it is removed.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzypny View Post
I thought I had read that it has something to do with monitoring the gases coming off the exhaust and relaying it to the computer so that it can adjust fuel/air accordingly. Is this correct?
Nope. What you described is exactly what the O2 sensors do.

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Crzypny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
Nope. What you described is exactly what the O2 sensors do.
Thanks for the correction.

Reason I'm asking is before I acquired my vehicle, my brother had put the shorties/x pipe on the car but the ones he put on did not have the connection for the egr. He had the egr still plugged up to the computer/vacuum lines but where it is supposed to be routed into the header (?) is just left open - so what it's pulling from is not the exhaust gasses it's just air from the engine bay. I'm wondering if that will have any affect on how the car is running or will it even make a difference?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzypny View Post
Thanks for the correction.

Reason I'm asking is before I acquired my vehicle, my brother had put the shorties/x pipe on the car but the ones he put on did not have the connection for the egr. He had the egr still plugged up to the computer/vacuum lines but where it is supposed to be routed into the header (?) is just left open - so what it's pulling from is not the exhaust gasses it's just air from the engine bay. I'm wondering if that will have any affect on how the car is running or will it even make a difference?
I don’t think that would be the EGR that you are talking about. The EGR is the valve on the back of the EGR plate attached to the throttle body. The actual routing of the exhaust gasses is internal to the heads and upper/lower intakes. I’m pretty sure it’s set up the same way on the SN-95 cars.

What you may be referring to is the thermactor system. This diverts fresh air from the smog pump to either before or after the cats to help burn the exhaust more cleanly. Is this what you are talking about?

'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

Not to jump into the middle of this square dance, but I can tell you that the smog pump and associated thermactor pipe (from the back of the heads) have been removed.

It is my understanding that the sn-95 cars had an outlet from the stock header for the EGR system. I can't say for sure though as I never saw the stock header nor the system while it was intact.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
natedawgg94

yes the sn-95's have a connector that goes from the header to the EGR i have removed all my EGR and plugged the heads also deleted the smog pump. it opens up the pass. side of the engine bay up. not all that hard to do just need some vacuum block offs and 2 plugs for the back of the heads (this can be done with the heads still on the engine but is a pain in the A$$ you have to use a chopped down tap to clean the carbon buildup out of the driver side) the pass. side isn't that bad to do but would recommend using some thread locker.

1994 Cobra Pace Car #365 of 1000 light mods

1994 mustang GT 3.55's, 331 stroker, 75mm tb, 75mm maf, mac h pipe SOLD (ole yella u will be missed ((>>.

Rubbing Is Racing
natedawgg94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Crzypny

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawgg94 View Post
yes the sn-95's have a connector that goes from the header to the EGR i have removed all my EGR and plugged the heads also deleted the smog pump. it opens up the pass. side of the engine bay up. not all that hard to do just need some vacuum block offs and 2 plugs for the back of the heads (this can be done with the heads still on the engine but is a pain in the A$$ you have to use a chopped down tap to clean the carbon buildup out of the driver side) the pass. side isn't that bad to do but would recommend using some thread locker.
I've already have the heads plugged, was able to do it before I installed them and the smog pump has been deleted. So to eliminate the egr all that needs to be done is to buy the plate and plug the vacuum lines? Just curious doesn't this cause the engine light to come on?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
coupe
Super Moderator

as long as the actual EGR Sensor is plugged in, the CPU doesn't care.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
natedawgg94

yes that is all u have left to do i fabed my own plate out of alum. not a very hard thing to do pretty standard deal and as far as the engine light yes mine comes on when the egr should open but i don't have anything plug into it. coupe haven't heard that b4 thanks think i'll try that on mine. curious ? for you i see you have a msd 6A installed where did you mount it?

1994 Cobra Pace Car #365 of 1000 light mods

1994 mustang GT 3.55's, 331 stroker, 75mm tb, 75mm maf, mac h pipe SOLD (ole yella u will be missed ((>>.

Rubbing Is Racing
natedawgg94 is offline   Reply With Quote