Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

1987 TBird TC 5.0

1987 TBird TC 5.0 - "Project Evil Phoenix"

Following my tradition of cliche project names I have dubbed this one Project Evil Phoenix. The back story on this car is pretty straight forward ... It was originally an automatic 2.3L Turbo Coupe that suffered an untimely engine fire. (hince the project name)

At this point the car was bought by a shop with plans of putting a 5.0 w/ 5spd in it. The paint cleaned up pretty well considering the years of neglect it had been subjected to literally rotting in a field.

Pictured above is a good shot of the custom lower chin spoiler still in the prep stages. This adds a nice subtle touch to the car.

Here you can see that the stock hood has been removed while a custom hood is being fabricated utilizing the scoop from a SVO hood. You'll also notice that a 302 has been install (since removed)

Pictured above a set of black bullitts is being test fitted. (I plan to go with these wheels) You also see the custom hood being test fit and the finished lower chin spoiler.

Pictured above and below are a couple of pics of the "near finished" product. The hood is still in sealer awaiting paint (along with the rest of the car)

Along the way the project was abandoned ... engine and tranny removed for other projects.

This is where I step in. Taking advantage of the fact that most of the grunt work has already done for me, I'm just going to put a 5.0 and t-5 back in it to get it up and running for now.

Here are the basic mod's that have already been done.

5 lug conversion with disc brakes (95 GT front | Mark VII rear)
8.8 Rearend with Traction Lock and 3.73 gears
Stillen Metal Matrix Brakepads
Custom Chin Spoiler and Hood

331 Upgrade Project Plans:

DSS 331 Bullet Short Block

Block: 5.0 roller cam block
Crank: Nodular Iron Stroker Crank
Rods: Forged I-beam rods
Pistons: Forged D.S.S. Pro Series

TFS Track Heat Kit
Heads: Trickflow Twisted Wedge (61cc)
Cam: TFS (221/225 dur | .499/.510 lift)