StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)

Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Cool Installing an electric fan in F-150

My F-150 needs a little more get-um-up. I have read that the fan on the F-150 can drain as much as 15 hp. I have a 94-95 GT fan sitting around in my basement. From what I have seen I will need to fabricate some brackets for the fan and install a fan controller. My questions are: 1. Does anyone recomend one controler over another? 2. Are there any tips to an install like this?

Thanks
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
86GTPONY
Gone but not forgotten

Try Matt at O'Reilly's (Banditmwp) or you could order one from summit that would work - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
87 Ranger ($100 work truck)

Meat is murder!... Tasty, tasty murder.
86GTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
SkurdalenFox

I seriously doubt you'd gain 15 horsepower. What year/engine? Is it the OEM fan clutch?

In any event, since you've got the electric fan already, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Don't use crimps. Solder/heat shrink all the connections. You also don't really need a controller. A switch, a relay and a fuse will be fine and much cheaper.

Last edited by SkurdalenFox; 04-14-2009 at 04:55 PM.
SkurdalenFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

98' 4.6 - do not know about the fan clutch

I thought I was supposed to create some sort of bracket?

just not really sure how
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
SkurdalenFox

The reason I asked about the fan clutch is because aftermarket fan clutches may not work as well as the OEM. My old F150 sounded like a jet because the aftermarket clutch I got didn't disengage. If that's the case with your truck, you will certainly pickup some fuel mileage/power.

Bracket? I assumed you meant a bracket to mount the fan assembly on the radiator.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkurdalenFox View Post
The reason I asked about the fan clutch is because aftermarket fan clutches may not work as well as the OEM. My old F150 sounded like a jet because the aftermarket clutch I got didn't disengage. If that's the case with your truck, you will certainly pickup some fuel mileage/power.

Bracket? I assumed you meant a bracket to mount the fan assembly on the radiator.
I do not really even know what a fan clutch is. What is it?

Yeah, to mount the fan
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

fan clutch is what the 'actual' fan mounts to. (the center section of the fan) If you have the fan off, look at the center of the fan, you will see a metal center. That is the clutch
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
86GTPONY
Gone but not forgotten

Also, depending on your water pump & pulley, you may need to get shorter bolts. Once you remove the four and take the clutch/fan assembly off - when you thread them back in, they may be too long and bottom out into the housing.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
SkurdalenFox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_clutch

As for the mounting brackets, there are a number of things you can do. You could just get some bar stock, and bend up some brackets. You just need to make sure the fan assembly is held tightly against the radiator, and that there is no interference. The assembly shouldn't allow too much air to leak out the sides.

I just made two big hook type things for the bottom mounts. The fan just sets on them, and they have a hook to keep the fan moving back. At the top I just made two little right angle brackets with holes. The angle pieces bolt to the top of the radiator (there is a little flange with holes) and I drilled a couple holes in the fan shroud.

Alternatively, there are these zip-tie like things out there. They are square with a long zip tie thing. You put it ziptie part through the radiator. Drill a whole in the shroud and then use a retaining clip to hold it snugly together. They seem to work just fine
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
86GTPONY
Gone but not forgotten

I think you can get away with the "zip tie units", but I found that after time, they tend to stress the rows & fins which leads to leaks. If you have any kind of Macgyver or "A-team" skills, then try & fab something up.