StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Trade Goods > Product Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
joker
Friends

Spec Throwout Bearing

My friends spec throwout bearing after 3k miles of normal daily driving and about 3 or 4 trips to the track. How much hp did the monster that made this damage make you might ask? A whopping 215 to the ground.

joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
banditmwp
Welcome to America!

Send a message via AIM to banditmwp Send a message via Yahoo to banditmwp
Re: Spec Throwout Bearing

91 GT Convertible

2006 Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab
2014 Peterbilt 337/Marion 22' box
banditmwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

SPEC uses the same as a Ford OE bearing. They do have issues sometimes, but it's across the whole line of clutch manufacturers...and never like that pic. The damage in that pic is far-worse than a faulty bearing can cause...Looks like it caught fire in the bellhousing. I would check into that setup and installation.
SPEC will still replace it probably.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
SPEC uses the same as a Ford OE bearing. They do have issues sometimes, but it's across the whole line of clutch manufacturers...and never like that pic. The damage in that pic is far-worse than a faulty bearing can cause...Looks like it caught fire in the bellhousing. I would check into that setup and installation.
SPEC will still replace it probably.
I have never seen a ford bearing do that after only 3k miles. This bearing from ford looks like a different construction to me, then again there really isnt enough of the spec one to compare

Even if spec would replace it, I dont think he wants anything to do with spec in his car after this. I will say that the spec clutches hold up well though, I think the bearings just leave something to be desired. You can look at just about any mustang site and see complaints about specs bearings (usually just about them being noisy after a couple of k miles), but I am sure that they are all due to improper installation.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Coupe, did Spec start using the FORD OE bearing recently?

Like Joker mentioned, there has been several complaints that I have seen as well about the Spec's t/o bearings being noisy.

I agree with Matt though, the setup that t/o bearing came out of needs to be looked at more closely. The t/o arm needs to be inspected for wear
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 AM   #6
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Coupe, did Spec start using the FORD OE bearing recently?

Like Joker mentioned, there has been several complaints that I have seen as well about the Spec's t/o bearings being noisy.
I agree. I too have heard several complaints about Spec's t/o bearings. The funny thing is, I have never heard a car or from someone that the t/o bearing in their King Cobra clutch was noisy at all. But all the Spec clutches I have heard that "supposedly" use the Ford bearing that's in a King Cobra are always noisy.

Maybe a coincidence? I don't know.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
coupe
Super Moderator

Federal Mogul makes it (I'm told by the management). We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one). It was created back when the sleeves were aluminum (before hardened bearing retainer) to slow the wear/galling on the part. Either works fine. The one in the pic has nothing to do with the clutch and even a defective bearing would not do that...Like Lee said, I'd look into the fork and/or fork pivot geometry. Something was out of kilter (ie: side-loaded).
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
Federal Mogul makes it (I'm told by the management). We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one). It was created back when the sleeves were aluminum (before hardened bearing retainer) to slow the wear/galling on the part. Either works fine. The one in the pic has nothing to do with the clutch and even a defective bearing would not do that...Like Lee said, I'd look into the fork and/or fork pivot geometry. Something was out of kilter (ie: side-loaded).
Yeah, but the fact still remains, aside from this case, that there are several complaints about "noisy" spec t/o bearings. I myself have heard more than a couple cars with "noisy" spec clutches. And heard even more complaints about ones that I haven't personally heard. That's gonna be way more than an installation problem, unless ALL those cases are being installed improperly. Highly unlikely. So, it apparently is a problem that needs looking at.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
94five0
S-6 Mafia

Location: above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.

holy moly.. what is/was that. melted plastic?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756
Yeah, but the fact still remains, aside from this case, that there are several complaints about "noisy" spec t/o bearings. I myself have heard more than a couple cars with "noisy" spec clutches. And heard even more complaints about ones that I haven't personally heard. That's gonna be way more than an installation problem, unless ALL those cases are being installed improperly. Highly unlikely. So, it apparently is a problem that needs looking at.
Matt (I think) and I are referring to the geometry in this case only. Not the noisy reputation that the Spec bearings have
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote