StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Thumbs up 6 speed Lightning conversion.

I thought some of you would find this interesting.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...ad.php?t=59674

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt-BansheeMan View Post
Do not "img" quote pictures. Admin please keep this in check.

Here's an info thread on what it takes to convert our automatic Gen 2 Lightnings to a manual transmission. Particular, a viper spec t56 from a wrecked gen 2 Dodge Viper. This will show why i did things the way i did. It may also show a lot of custom things that are not needed. This is not a full blown tutorial and i wont go step by step. You need to be mechanically inclined and figure stuff out on your own. Feel free to ask questions. Keep in mind, mine is NOT done so bare with me.

Prep:
*Remove stock 4r100, driveshaft, flywheel and mids pipes/catback.
*Remove all trans fluid lines concerning the 4r100.
*Remove carpet(to cut a hole in the floor for shifter)
*Take out streering column and brake pedal assembly.(it's also a good idea to take off the intake and plenum to give youself room to work.)
*Having a cut passenger seat(like done for an Expy console) is best so the shifter doesnt hit the middle stock seat when in 2nd,4th,6th gears.

Drivetrain(the transmission):
Find the manual trans you want but make sure it will work. I personally went with a viper spec t56. It has a 26 spline input shaft and has lower over drive ratios compared to the terminator spec t56. Since i have one from a viper, i had to install a input shaft from a cobra so it fit in the engine correctly. The viper input shaft was about 1" too long. We simply popped off the front cover of the trans and changed the input shaft. I went with a 26 spline due to the truck's weight and power output. 500/500 cobras tend to snap their stock 10 spline input shafts. Since the viper bell housing wont bolt up to the 5.4L, you need a terminator bell housing. Once you bolt that to the t56, you will see how the viper's input shaft is too long. You cant machine the input shaft shorter.

Drivetrain(clutch & Flywheel):
I chose a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel from a terminator. 8 bolt crank of course because that's what the stock 5.4L Lightning engines have. I chose a Spec clutch rated at a 800rwtq. Clutch is depended on what power your truck makes and how want pedal feel. I recommended doing it once, doing it right. Dont get a cheap clutch that cant hold the power.

Drivetrain(misc):
You will need a custom made drive shaft. Talk to your drive shaft company of choice and go from there. I had to order a front yoke spline from a Performance shop because no driveshaft shop knew what front yoke spline fit a Viper t56. Rear is a flange yoke type.

You will need to move your transmission brace forward a few inches and drill holes. You can weld it but good luck removing it. You will also need to drill a hole in the middle of the brace so that the screw from the trans fits in it to secure it. You will see what i mean. This is why you need to remove the mid pipes and catback. You need room to work. If you have something like OBX headers with resi's, remove the resi's as well.

Parts etc:
*Dodge Viper(not an srt10 ram) slave cylinder, master cylinder
*Clutch pedal Assembly from a manual heritage F150(installing requires taking out steering column, stock brake pedal assembly, moving boost line from hole in fire wall, unbolting brake booster).
*Ford clutch Safety switch from a Heritage v6 f150 with a manual.
**You will have to graft that onto the Viper clutch master cylinder and custom make a holder for the clutch master cylinder for it to work. Or you can just hook it up and ghetto rig it. Press it in for it to start i believe and leave it alone but that's ghetto.
*Wiring harness from a Heritage v6 f150 with a manual(will post pictures later on)
*B&M or X-Metal short shifter for an srt10 RAM truck. I took me about 3 months to get my B&M shifter due to them not making them anymore. Good luck finding them. Best bet is to live on the VTCOA for sell section. They usually sell withing 10 minutes(I'm not joking).

-this original post will be edited until done-
-Special thanks to Scott who did this and has helped me so much-
All my Pictures can be seen here: CLICK

Questions and comments are welcome. Some parts are hard to find. Things like used parts, fabricated items and custom made part prices are priced differently and you need to do your own research to find the cost. Items like used transmissions, shifters, labor etc vary a lot.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
yellowSVT

Wow!!
2012 f150 4x4 5.0 blk
2012 rzr LE S orange
2012 rzr LE silver/blk
2003 DSG lightning
2001 ford focus ZX3 silver
yellowSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Wow indeed. That's alot of time, money, and hassle... which IMO would have been better spent on the automatic to go faster: converter, valve body, clutches, etc...
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
SMOKNSS

Thats pretty cool, but Im with coupe...^^^
Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Wow indeed. That's alot of time, money, and hassle... which IMO would have been better spent on the automatic to go faster: converter, valve body, clutches, etc...
Eh.... no different than sinking a bunch of moey into a Lincoln LS. Sure, you could sink the same money into a Fox coupe and have a MUCH quicker car, but that's been done plenty of times.

Sometimes, different trumps speed.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
Eh.... no different than sinking a bunch of moey into a Lincoln LS...Sometimes, different trumps speed.
Oh, no doubt. Some people like to be different just to be different, even when it involved assinine expenditures of time, money, and hassle.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

And because rowing gears is always more fun than putting a car in 'D'
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
And because rowing gears is always more fun than putting a car in 'D'
This is true, just not in trucks imo. Doesn't feel comfortable to me
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Btw eric, when will you be doing this
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtusnake View Post
Btw eric, when will you be doing this
Ain't happening! I think it's cool from the tech aspect of it, and the fact that it's different, but I'll be going the route like Coupe was talking about eventually (converter, VB, 4x4 pan/filter, etc). For the amount of money spent on that conversion I could throw a Whipple and some other mods on mine. I'll bet that thing is a blast to drive one it hooks up though!
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote