StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Wickd GT
Friends

Now I'm really frustrated...

Well, Cheo and I worked on his car today, almost all day. After we put an electrical water gauge and had it all wire up, we fire the car up. I told him that the car is cold and that it has not been driven and that I had to take the water sending unit out and that maybe it will trap air. So, I told him to go drive it around town around 45 mph, cruise around and come back, put an eye on the water temperature. When he got back, I open the hood and guess what! The damn catch can is up to the neck and bubbles in it. This is after the heads were milled, the highest was 155* but the damn motor is still pushing air through the cooling system. I burp it with the safety handle that the radiator cap has and the only thing you can hear is air. I did not open the radiator cap to see if tonight will pulled it back into the motor. I don't know what else to do hear, we been at for 10 straight days with this car. He saw me when I saw the catch can full and smell the catch can, it smell like exhaust, I broke a big flash light and almost broke my hand hitting my work bench. I'm going to drive it tomorrow, if the shit continues, I either going to sell the car, or take the heads off and sent them back to the guy I bought them from (50Joe) and wait until I can get some money and buy a set of aluminum heads. F..k ME!!!!

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Are you sure that its not just air pockets working out from putting fresh coolant in? Are you running the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat cycles?

Are you still running stock replacement head gaskets? I had a similar problem when I ran those stupid ass Cometics
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 01-05-2008 at 10:29 PM.
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
97cobrasvt
I got a good sugar moma

I had one that I swear took about 400 miles to get all the air out of the system. I worked on it and work untill I said f*** it and drove it just kept an eye on the water level and it finally worked it's way out.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
SvoBrown

Jack the front of the car up 3 or 4 feet and let it run/ well maybe not the far. This helped me on the svo when I had problems with air bubbles. Works on hondas too.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
Are you sure that its not just air pockets working out from putting fresh coolant in? Are you running the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat cycles?

Are you still running stock replacement head gaskets? I had a similar problem when I ran those stupid ass Cometics
I got stock replacement felpro head gaskets, everything is new! I guess I'll run it and see what happens. The motor pulls real hard, and does not get hot. Man I sure hope is air pockets in the system.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

Edgar,

remove the radiator cap and then remove the sending unit located in the water rail going to the heater core.once you have done this take a funnel and some coolant and backfill the cooling system through the hole where the sensor is located.it will burp the system of any air and you should be ok.

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
Well, Cheo and I worked on his car today, almost all day. After we put an electrical water gauge and had it all wire up, we fire the car up. I told him that the car is cold and that it has not been driven and that I had to take the water sending unit out and that maybe it will trap air. So, I told him to go drive it around town around 45 mph, cruise around and come back, put an eye on the water temperature. When he got back, I open the hood and guess what! The damn catch can is up to the neck and bubbles in it. This is after the heads were milled, the highest was 155* but the damn motor is still pushing air through the cooling system. I burp it with the safety handle that the radiator cap has and the only thing you can hear is air. I did not open the radiator cap to see if tonight will pulled it back into the motor. I don't know what else to do hear, we been at for 10 straight days with this car. He saw me when I saw the catch can full and smell the catch can, it smell like exhaust, I broke a big flash light and almost broke my hand hitting my work bench. I'm going to drive it tomorrow, if the shit continues, I either going to sell the car, or take the heads off and sent them back to the guy I bought them from (50Joe) and wait until I can get some money and buy a set of aluminum heads. F..k ME!!!!

Edgar
Have you flushed the cooling system like I recommended?

I can tell you that a different set of heads won't change anything. It's not the heads that is causing the issue, it's just the water trapped in the sytem.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobrasvt View Post
I had one that I swear took about 400 miles to get all the air out of the system.
Yeah, I've already told edgar how hard it was to get the air out everytime I've done a head swap.

That is the reaon I suggested the coolant flush system with a water hose. Works everytime.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Edgar,you never did say if you had the burp hole in the thermostat or not.If you don't,drill a 3/16" hole in it 1/4" from the edge,then put the hole at the 12 o'clock position.This will also get any trapped air out,I've had to do it before myself,and some new ones come with a little check valve in them just for this!
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
Edgar,you never did say if you had the burp hole in the thermostat or not.If you don't,drill a 3/16" hole in it 1/4" from the edge,then put the hole at the 12 o'clock position.This will also get any trapped air out,I've had to do it before myself,and some new ones come with a little check valve in them just for this!
Edgar I too have done this before, I would recommend trying this method.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote