StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Cool 1985 Buick T Type

Traded for this car yesterday. I will admit that I do not know a whole lot about them, but I am reading as much as quickly as I can. Plans are to get some body work done to the car, and have Matt check her over. I think it may need some tuning.

First impressions - fun car to drive with a good bit of potential.

Mods - from ad

Quote:
Turbonetics stage 3 turbo, Kenne Bell headers, down pipe, exaust, Spearco FMIC, MSD 50# injectors, MAFT, GNX coil pack, Taylor spark plug wires, Methanol injection kit, Greedy boost controler, knock gauge, GNX dash gauges, cold air intake, intercooler hard pipe kit, camshaft
Pics - again from ad

Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.

Last edited by CrazyInBlack; 01-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
TheJeanyus
Administrator

I like those cars. They really look good lowered a little with a nice set of wheels.

Skillet had one, too, so he may be able to help you out.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Skillet
Lazy Bum

Send a message via AIM to Skillet
85 is a hot air car. Not as much potential or as popular as the 86-87 cars. With the added intercooler, alky kit, and upgraded turbo it's probably a fun car. They were rated at 200hp/300tq from the factory. Not too many people hot rodding the 84/85 but I couldn't really tell you why. That's a pretty rare car even if it isn't super valuable.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

I think my car needs some tuning, or tweaking. It is fun, but I am not sure if everything is working correctly. What happened to yours?
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Skillet
Lazy Bum

I sold mine. It got to where I had put so much stuff on it I couldn't keep a transmission in it.
http://turbotweak.com/ is a good place to get a chip from.

A scanmaster is a must with these cars but I don't see one for the 84/85 cars. The laptop software might still work.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
NO2MORO
Friends

Send a message via MSN to NO2MORO
Great cars, lots of fun. Change the color. Good Luck with the project.
NO2MORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
I sold mine. It got to where I had put so much stuff on it I couldn't keep a transmission in it.
http://turbotweak.com/ is a good place to get a chip from.

A scanmaster is a must with these cars but I don't see one for the 84/85 cars. The laptop software might still work.
I have a scanmaster, and a turbo timer - now I just have to learn what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO2MORO View Post
Great cars, lots of fun. Change the color. Good Luck with the project.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Skillet
Lazy Bum

Here is the manual. It tells you what the codes are as well as the range for each parameter. http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=1488
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

I really want to go out today and test the car in a parking lot or deserted road. But, yesterday, after driving 60 or so miles on the interstate (fine), the temp gauge started to worry me when sitting in traffic.