StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > EEC Management

Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: O2 Sensor Trivia

Wow, look... a thread.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Why does the car trip a Check Engine Light with the rear O2's disconnected even though they are turned OFF in the programming?

-and-

Why do the Wideband installation instructions tell you to put the O2 sensor in upstream of the cats because it will give inaccurate readings if the sensor is placed downstream of the cats when all major dyno's use a Wideband sensor that sticks into the tailpipe?
The car probably gives a check engine light as the sensor itself completes a circuit. Even if the programming does not use the input, it still needs a dummy resistance there. Just a guess based on other experience.

At WOT, the cats are not going to have enough time to do their job and therefore will make little difference in the A/F ratio. At cruising when the exhaust gases are moving much slower is when you would see the most error because of the longer time the gases spend in the cat.

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
86GT

All of the EEC-IV and EEC-V's were designed for O2's being present. The scalar that you are setting to turn it off may accept a value of zero, but the EEC may see that and know that it is wrong and reverts to some know value.

I am just guessing, but I don't think '0' is a valid number.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:08 AM   #14
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

Yeah, seems like I recall a discussion about it not working on the tweecer board, but I generally don't read 94+ threads....

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT
I am just guessing, but I don't think '0' is a valid number.
If you are refering to the odbii_tst-switch scalar, I have a value of 250 which is off (251 is on). This turns off the rear O2's (supposedly) because I have a Dr. Gas off-road X-pipe. This worked because I never did install my MIL eliminators and I've had the X-pipe for over a year.

Now, I pulled the codes yesterday and they are:

P0156 Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 2.
P0161 Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 2.

Obviously the switch I turned off doesn't turn off the circuit continuity check. This brings me to my next question.

If I just plug the O2 back in, but leave it hanging out of the pipe, will the heat circuit continously run? What about when the ceramics crack because of moisture, will it throw the light again?

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #16
86GT

The A9L has a scarl that says something like "Num Of HEGO". That is the one that I was refering to.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #17
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

I wouldn't leave them hanging. Throw a post on the tweecer board and see what they say...

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Doug904

Using the SCT software you have to turn both the rear o2 sensor switch and the rear 02 sensor heaters for both 02's. If you just turn rear 02 sensor off it will still code just as you've described.

later Doug.
Doug904 is offline   Reply With Quote