StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > EEC Management
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
jwillburn119

Send a message via Yahoo to jwillburn119
yeah... its back...

okay... so it stopped... for like a day... i replaced the distributor.. completely... still working with the eec... but its not working... waiting on plug wires... which i just replaced... but am replacing again... just in case... but i still have the problem...

But i have a new Question... is it possible that maybe the speed sensor is clashing with the speedometer since i have 3.73 gears in the car and havent replaced the speedo gear YET? If not... what else could it be? The damn thing doesnt bring up any codes so im totally at a loss... also instead of it cutting out at different points in the powerband... now once it gets warm it just does it all the time... i am starting to suspect some sort of mechanical failure... but i dont know what it is... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
if you dont know what im talking about refer to my other thread...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: yeah... its back...

did you ever replace the tfi module or coil?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillburn119
okay... so it stopped... for like a day... i replaced the distributor.. completely... still working with the eec... but its not working... waiting on plug wires... which i just replaced... but am replacing again... just in case... but i still have the problem...

But i have a new Question... is it possible that maybe the speed sensor is clashing with the speedometer since i have 3.73 gears in the car and havent replaced the speedo gear YET? If not... what else could it be? The damn thing doesnt bring up any codes so im totally at a loss... also instead of it cutting out at different points in the powerband... now once it gets warm it just does it all the time... i am starting to suspect some sort of mechanical failure... but i dont know what it is... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
if you dont know what im talking about refer to my other thread...

The problem went away after messing with the distributor right? What exactly did you do to the distributor? Did you mess with anything else at the same time? It could be bad wires and by moving the wires(when messing with the distributor) you caused the problem to go away or change.

Have you watched at night/dark under the hood to see if you could see spark arcing from any of the wires?

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

Definitely sounds like a TFI to me. They will only act up when they get hot. They act fine when cooled down...

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
86GT

Sounds like TFI to me too. There is a class action suit against FORD for this very problem.

You may notice that Ford stoped mounting them to the distributor and mounted them to a heat sink and then the heat sink and TFI is mounted to the firewall. They obviously knew it was a problem.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
jwillburn119

Exclamation Re: yeah... its back...

yeah i have kind of come to that conclusion too as i was tracking what the problem might be, thanks for the help, yeah i have already replaced the wires 3 times(lifetime warranty) so... the TFI was my next thing to try, is there another Distributor... i know there is... because mine is mounted to a heat sink and to my freaking fender well... maybe if i remove it and put more dielectric lubricant under it it would fix it? or just replace it?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillburn119
yeah i have kind of come to that conclusion too as i was tracking what the problem might be, thanks for the help, yeah i have already replaced the wires 3 times(lifetime warranty) so... the TFI was my next thing to try, is there another Distributor... i know there is... because mine is mounted to a heat sink and to my freaking fender well... maybe if i remove it and put more dielectric lubricant under it it would fix it? or just replace it?
What wires? If there lifetime warranty autozone wires, they are not very good even though they say "lifetime warranty".

I would replace the TFI rather than just regrease it.

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
jwillburn119

no i put taylor wires in it... from an parts shop... i dont know if you know who murillo motorsports is... but it is one of his his distributors... i live close to the guys at prewitt racing... they do his chassis' and they do the work on mine and my buddie's ws-6 i think its not the wires... i am gonna get a TFI probably.. .is there anywhere to go for a performance replacement? or is it just a stock replace? i guess i can get a distributor with it top mounted?

edit!!!
okay so i did some research... and where in the hell do i get a TFI module?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #9
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

Edit - just saw that you replaced TFI and that didn't do it.

As a refresher, can you give us a rehash of the problem, when it occurs, and what you have done so far to fix the problem?

Kocky will be back!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

For example - fuel pressure during the occurance?

Kocky will be back!