StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
coupe
Super Moderator

Done it before, but with the kit, already had the pins. Only thing different here would be to splice, butt, and solder a couple things. Did you already get the Mass-Air computer? The instructions above are lengthy in words, but it is quite simple really; if you run into any walls, give me a shout.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Done it before, but with the kit, already had the pins. Only thing different here would be to splice, butt, and solder a couple things. Did you already get the Mass-Air computer? The instructions above are lengthy in words, but it is quite simple really; if you run into any walls, give me a shout.
got the kit from Disney, does not look that hard

but like I said, I do not want to screw it up
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT View Post
Step 5 Hooking up Vehical Speed Sensor (VSS) wires(optional)
There is a differential signal called VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) which comes from a small sensor on the transmission where the speedometer cable is connected. In 1986-1988 MAP cars this signal was used only by the cruise control and the sensor may not be installed if your car does not have cruise control. In MAF cars, this signal is used by both the cruise control and the EEC-IV. The wires/pins for these signals are not physically equipped in a MAP car's wiring harness, which will yield an error code for NO VSS SIGNAL- (code 29) from the continuous memory codes in the EEC-IV. These signals are not absolutely needed, though some people have reported stalling when coasting to a stop without them. You can hook the VSS signals up to the EEC-IV connector by connecting the input pins of the EEC to the appropriate wires on the cruise control module (located just to the left of the clutch/brake pedals). You need to hook the dark green/white wire going to the speed control to pin 3 of the EEC, and the orange/yellow wire to pin 6 (these are the colors for an '88, anyway). These positions on the EEC connector are empty and will require 2 EEC-IV connector pins.
I have personally experienced this problem. Due to clearance issues, I currently can't run my cruise control cable to my throttle body. Since my VSS was leaking very bad at the time (and I wasn't needing it for cruise), I just pulled it and plugged the hole in the tranny. My car ended up going dead at every stop. I went ahead and bought a new VSS ($20), installed it up, and it made a significant improvement on the stalling. (It also didn't leak any more )

I highly recommend connecting the VSS.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
I have personally experienced this problem. Due to clearance issues, I currently can't run my cruise control cable to my throttle body. Since my VSS was leaking very bad at the time (and I wasn't needing it for cruise), I just pulled it and plugged the hole in the tranny. My car ended up going dead at every stop. I went ahead and bought a new VSS ($20), installed it up, and it made a significant improvement on the stalling. (It also didn't leak any more )

I highly recommend connecting the VSS.
I am not sure what my plans say as far as that wire, I will look into it
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote