StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #31
banditmwp
Welcome to America!

Send a message via AIM to banditmwp Send a message via Yahoo to banditmwp
Re: Valve float.....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
I sure hope that you have never done a head swap.
No, but I'll use one when I do. I fell off a turnip truck, but it wasn't LAST night.

91 GT Convertible

2006 Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab
2014 Peterbilt 337/Marion 22' box
banditmwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #32
latemodelracer2

just a FYI but pull your plugs in about a week and look at them. octane boost will leave a residue on them. also thats a lot of timming you probley wouldnt loose much pulling 1 degree of timming and the safety factor youd be adding would be well worth it.

also do you have dual program chip? if not then what brand chip do you have? if you have sct get james to add your current program but with 3 degrees less timing for a winter prgram. be well worth it in the end

latemodelracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #33
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodelracer2
just a FYI but pull your plugs in about a week and look at them. octane boost will leave a residue on them. also thats a lot of timming you probley wouldnt loose much pulling 1 degree of timming and the safety factor youd be adding would be well worth it.

also do you have dual program chip? if not then what brand chip do you have? if you have sct get james to add your current program but with 3 degrees less timing for a winter prgram. be well worth it in the end

yeah I was kinda thinking that the timing was a little high but unsure on what boost he is actually seeing BUT at the same time you should be able to run more timing in cooler weather because cooler air charge would reduce detonation (or it seems to me) High cylinder temperatures cause detonation. This can be a result of running lean (which could be from pegging MAF due to the cooler air), timing, or hot air intake charge.

For reference I am running 20 degrees of total timing with my 9:1 compression, intercooled 14 psi pushrod motor
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #34
mustangmuscle

Quote:

Great advice and info....Thanks!
I will definitely give the plugs a look in about a week.
James tuned my car via my Predator on his dyno. I have my current tune, as well as the "less timing" tune in my computer. Can load them into the Predator at any time....then, of course, into the car. Will absolutely look into installing the "less timing" tune for safety's sake......not gonna be doing any racing over the winter anyway......

Thanks again!
Chris
Bassani cat-back
Bassani catted-X
MM FLSFC's
BF IRS Brace
Lukem80 Special Edition Hi-perf springs
BF 2.76 S/C pulley
SCT XCAL2
DiabloSport MAFia
NGK TR6 Plugs
Steg Stage 4 Eaton
Afco D/P H/E
Metco 2# Lower
KB BAP
SPEC 3+ clutch w/SPEC steel fw
60# inj's
491rwhp/504rwtq
mustangmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:32 AM   #35
latemodelracer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmuscle
Great advice and info....Thanks!
I will definitely give the plugs a look in about a week.
James tuned my car via my Predator on his dyno. I have my current tune, as well as the "less timing" tune in my computer. Can load them into the Predator at any time....then, of course, into the car. Will absolutely look into installing the "less timing" tune for safety's sake......not gonna be doing any racing over the winter anyway......

Thanks again!
Chris

I would def do that. you wont give up much and have a peace of mind when WOT that itll be fine. wouldnt hurt to hook a voltmeter up to that mass air and have a buddy watch it during a 1-2-3 highway pull.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:02 AM   #36
mustangmuscle

Quote:
I would def do that. you wont give up much and have a peace of mind when WOT that itll be fine. wouldnt hurt to hook a voltmeter up to that mass air and have a buddy watch it during a 1-2-3 highway pull.
Absolutely right! When I was on the dyno at RWTD, James was datalogging and said the MAF was getting close to pegging, and any more HP would necessitate something be done....BAP, MAFia, MAFextender, etc.....Looks like the colder air has definitely brought me to this point. So I'll be spending whatever Christmas money I get towards fixing this.....was going to spend it on mods anyway

Thanks again for your help and advice!
Chris
Bassani cat-back
Bassani catted-X
MM FLSFC's
BF IRS Brace
BF 2.76 S/C pulley
SCT XCAL2
DiabloSport MAFia
NGK TR6 Plugs
Steg Stage 4 Eaton
Afco D/P H/E
Metco 2# Lower
KB BAP
60# inj's
491rwhp/504rwtq
Old 11-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #37
latemodelracer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmuscle
Absolutely right! When I was on the dyno at RWTD, James was datalogging and said the MAF was getting close to pegging, and any more HP would necessitate something be done....BAP, MAFia, MAFextender, etc.....Looks like the colder air has definitely brought me to this point. So I'll be spending whatever Christmas money I get towards fixing this.....was going to spend it on mods anyway

Thanks again for your help and advice!
Chris
ID def look into the SCT meter. I have the pro m on my truck now and it drives aweful. works fine @ WOT but cruising it is bad. Ive also heard mixed results on the maf xtender and the mafia. BAP is also bad buy two focus pumps and they will run whatever you ever want. And when you do all this you should go ahead and just sent that eaton to steig to put a big smile on your face and make use of all these supporting mods youll add. Stock injectors will still have plenty of room at this level

Old 11-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #38
mustangmuscle

Quote:
ID def look into the SCT meter. I have the pro m on my truck now and it drives aweful. works fine @ WOT but cruising it is bad. Ive also heard mixed results on the maf xtender and the mafia. BAP is also bad buy two focus pumps and they will run whatever you ever want. And when you do all this you should go ahead and just sent that eaton to steig to put a big smile on your face and make use of all these supporting mods youll add. Stock injectors will still have plenty of room at this level
Thanks for your insight and "real-world" experience with these mods. It really helps!
Bassani cat-back
Bassani catted-X
MM FLSFC's
BF IRS Brace
BF 2.76 S/C pulley
SCT XCAL2
DiabloSport MAFia
NGK TR6 Plugs
Steg Stage 4 Eaton
Afco D/P H/E
Metco 2# Lower
KB BAP
60# inj's
491rwhp/504rwtq
Old 11-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #39
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:

there is nothing wrong with the BAP
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #40
latemodelracer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
there is nothing wrong with the BAP

the stock pumps with the BAP dont last long. didnt on my truck and several others plus i mean you can get the focus pumps for a good price them being a ford part.