StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
88scgt

Bad Bad news from my 306

Well i probaly should have posted this earlier but i didnt. last weekend went home and pulled my engine out of our 86, took the oil pan off to change oil pump(kinda low oil pressure 14 lbs at idle) and sure enough bearing pieces on the pickup. granted there are about 10k of hard miles with numerous trips down the track. broke the engine down to bare block and # 8,7,4,3 and back ttwo mains were badly damaged. the rings, pistons and the cylinder walls looked great. dad took it to glenn sheppard to get the cylinder walls lokked at and check the crank. i dunno the statis yet though. if everything goes the way it should i will go home friday and get it all back together
88scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

that sucks. did the bearings show signs of detonation?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
militarymustang88gt

showed signs of no oil on the bearings. and the metal in the pan wasnt looking good neither.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Sounds like a broken,or rounded oil pump driveshaft to me! Have you pulled the pump off yet?
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
88scgt

the pump driveshaft is not bent it is a arp driveshaft. i am pretty sure the oil pumpwent bad probally why low oil pressure. well got the news from machine shop and the crank just needs to be polished. the cylinders looked reaaly good but a few of the cylinders had lost the hone. so he is going to hone the cylinders then i will do a total reduild. i think the main reason the pump went out was from running the dog piss out of it for 10k.
88scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
BAD INT

do not go highvolume on the pump standard melling should be fine.is there some rough spots on the cylinder wall or is the cross hatch not visable?
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Probably broke/collapsed the spring for the pressure valve inside the pump.And like Bad Int said,get a standard volume pump,all a high volume one is going to do is rob horsepower! My recommendation would be a standard volume high pressure one!
06 TBSS
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
Probably broke/collapsed the spring for the pressure valve inside the pump.And like Bad Int said,get a standard volume pump,all a high volume one is going to do is rob horsepower! My recommendation would be a standard volume high pressure one!
If you have a stock pan I recomend the standard oil pump. If you have a deep pan, a high volume, I use the FMS high volume pump on mine and the FMS harden steel pump shaft. About the high volume pump robbing hp, that is BS, I have had both of them and did not see any diference going down the track, only I saw was, the standard pump with the deep pan at idle will read low oil pressure, so put back the high volume pump and good oil presure at idle, but this time it is going to be different, I put main bearings King HP 3/4 groove, so it will probably read low oil pressure at idle.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
About the high volume pump robbing hp, that is BS,
How is that Edgar?,the HV pump is pushing more oil,which creates more parasitic drag on the engine.A HV pump is'nt really needed on a street engine without an oil cooler,etc for the extra oil to go to.Also from what I've read,they tend to pump oil to the top of the heads,and lifter valley faster than it can drain back down to the crankcase,resulting in oil starvation.
06 TBSS
Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
Also from what I've read,they tend to pump oil to the top of the heads,and lifter valley faster than it can drain back down to the crankcase,resulting in oil starvation.
That highly unlikely.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote