StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

View Poll Results: what hp will it make?
400-425 3 50.00%
425-450 1 16.67%
450-475 1 16.67%
475+ 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #31
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

I have about 5 Holley 4 barrel carbs sitting in my shop..........

....they're good paperweights!
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #32
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
....they're good paperweights!

No,
Carter has that market sealed up
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #33
88scgt

i had a 3550 and they are the best way better than the new 600. and it does have a 31 spline to the drive shaft. i have seen merley 500rwhp brreak a 600. everybody that i no will not run the 600 and want a 3550. my car made 550rwhp on the trans and it was perfect until i sold it, the trans that millitarymustang is talking about was blake walkers and his car made over 600rwhp and high 600 in torque. the 600 blows ass. millitary is going to be running trickflow twisteed heads and trickflow upper and lower intake that i am selling him. most likely he will also use my 347 kit that has a scat forged crank, bpm forged h rods, probe forged dome top pistons. the cam is a 586 lift 27? duration and 112 lobe seperation, trickflow npush rods, comp cam lifters and com cam rockers, and maybe my old novi 2000 blower if he can afford it
88scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #34
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
No,
Carter has that market sealed up
Good point!
06 TBSS
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #35
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkjuicedpony
The people who say it's cheaper are fools. They are the guys who go to VatoZone and buy a $20 fuel pump and a $50 flea market carb.
I've seen some of the cheap stuff run pretty well. I know you have too. No need for a 1500hp fuel system on a 400hp car.

Starting from scratch...having no EFI parts at all...it would be cheaper to do a carb setup (even with a nice carb). EFI needs upper/lower, TB, MAF, sensors, injectors, more expensive fuel line, return line, regulator, etc. Carb needs one intake, carb, pump, and regulator.

It's all relative...as qkjuice pointed out. EFI is best for what you want it sounds like!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #36
88scgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
I've seen some of the cheap stuff run pretty well. I know you have too. No need for a 1500hp fuel system on a 400hp car.

Starting from scratch...having no EFI parts at all...it would be cheaper to do a carb setup (even with a nice carb). EFI needs upper/lower, TB, MAF, sensors, injectors, more expensive fuel line, return line, regulator, etc. Carb needs one intake, carb, pump, and regulator.

It's all relative...as qkjuice pointed out. EFI is best for what you want it sounds like!
good point coupe but if you are buying parts andd one day plan to have a big boy engine why not go ahead and buy nice things like a 1500hp fuel system instead of having to buy it twice b/c we all no when u go to sell things you only get a 1/4 of what you paid for it
88scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #37
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
I was thinking that he was talking about going from EFI to carb.I remember when everybody was doing that in the late 80's on their Foxes,because nobody wanted to "fool with that computer shit!"
06 TBSS
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #38
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Starting from scratch...having no EFI parts at all...it would be cheaper to do a carb setup (even with a nice carb).
Maybe so, but how many people really start from scratch? Unless you are building a dedicated track car, very few people have to start from scratch.

Quote:
EFI needs upper/lower, TB, MAF, sensors, injectors, more expensive fuel line, return line, regulator, etc.
On a Mustang that was already EFI, both fuel lines, the regulator, and all sensors (except the MAF) are good for 500+ rwhp. So, you mentioning all that stuff is really not even relevent to this arguement.

Btw, my used intake, used 36# injectors, new Accufab 90mm, and new PMAS 95mm MAF cost me well under $1200.

Quote:
Carb needs one intake, carb, pump, and regulator.
Since we know he already has an EFI car, your carb shopping list should sound like this: lower intake, carb, pump, regulator, different distributor, fuel line rework,

Don't look at this s a "start from scratch" project because nowhere in this guys post did he allude to that.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #39
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
Don't look at this as a "start from scratch" project because nowhere in this guys post did he allude to that.
I know that. But judging by some other posts, it seems that there was a split decision about the total cost of all parts needed to do either type of setup.

I clarified what I thought he should do:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
It's all relative...EFI is best for what you want it sounds like!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
Evol393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
How much money do you really think he'll save by going carb?

Also, if he's wanting to daily drive this, he's going to enjoy the better fuel econoimy of the EFI and its ability to adapt to weather changes... not to mention, the added low-end torque you get from injection.

If you're old-school afriad of EFI, (and don't have the desire to learn) then yes, go with a carb... otherwise, stick with the technology that is going to net you better resullts with very little increase in cost.
IF the $$ and knowledge is there then go for it he just acted like he didnt want to spend a ton of money for the efi parts, i was just stating my opinion as an option. Ive had both and currnetly have efi but to each his own. Low end tq from efi? You must have read that from some magazine or somthing. Very little increase in cost? efi setups are twice what a carb setup runs. Maybe you should have the desire to learn how to tune on your own car before you bash someone elses opinion with your own made up facts. Because i dont think i would take any advise from someone who has a 418 that hardly makes 90hp more than my stock bottom 302.
Evol393 is offline   Reply With Quote