StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Wickd GT
Friends

A high volume pump will sent more oil to the top, and which in a hyr cam is what you want, it is not going to push that much oil at the valve train, but in a solid roller it does push a lot of oil at the top, which is what mine is doing right now, but I have restrictor pushrods, .040" in each one. I shift at 7200rpms on the juice, and going down the track it has 80psi of oil. This last time I took apart the motor, there were no signs of oil starvation, but oil not getting out of the main bearings quick enough, the reason for the 3/4 groove HP bearings. About the the oil pump robbing HP, in a stock car yes, but in a motor like mine I have not seen it, another thing, you do not need an oil cooler with a high volume pump, lotsa people think of that, but the warmer the oil more hp. You want the oil temp at 150-180* when a pass is been done. Depending on the clearences the engine has, that is when the standard of HV pump is decided to use.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Ok,I gotcha! I was referring to a stock engine(one set up like yours does need a HV pump).On the oil cooler,I was using that as an example in the fact that you usually need a HV pump when you install an oil cooler,instead of the other way around.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
88scgt

well i do have a 7 quart pan and i have always used a high volume pump. as for loss of power i dunno the car makes plenty of power. made 550rwhp through a c4. there were no scratches in the cylinder walls just the hone marks gone in a few of the walls. i will be going home this weekend to get it back together. i have alot of other things to do aswell like new rear suspension. my car is notorious for not hooking, tired of that. i think i will be in mid 6's, and mid to low 10's here in a few weeks
88scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
coupe
Super Moderator

No matter the pump...if pressure reads low on idle or anywhere, you have a problem.

Check clearances. Check them again. Spin motor over a few times and do it one more time.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
That highly unlikely.
not in a 5 qt pan it isn't. I know someone who has done it and is a reason I will NEVER run a high volume pump in my cars.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
No matter the pump...if pressure reads low on idle or anywhere, you have a problem.

Check clearances. Check them again. Spin motor over a few times and do it one more time.
Some may think it's over kill,but I always plasti-gauge mine twice.Once during initial clearance checks,and a second time after I torque it all down,and like Coupe said,rotate the crank a couple of times.
06 TBSS
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
BAD INT

hv pumps are pan drainers but you just don't throw them at any engine,as with any custom engine you make necessary adjustments for them.As far as the cross hatch most of the engines I build for racing or hp street my cylinders look like chrome or have very minor cross hatch just because you dont see it doesnt mean its bad.just make sure there arent major wear areas I know most people dont have bore guages at home but its worth a trip to the local machine shop.A lot of times just a quick hone with a christmas (one with the balls) brush just to take any glaze or stuck particles is all that is needed.Someone who doesnt know how to correctly use a stone hone will kill your clearances quickly and you will have piston rock or rattle when the engine is warm. Was you 550hp n/a or power adder?
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
not in a 5 qt pan it isn't. I know someone who has done it and is a reason I will NEVER run a high volume pump in my cars.
I was refering to it's use with a large capacity pan... since that's what Edgar had just recommended in his previous post.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
88scgt

my block is at the machine shop getting honed. the cylinders looked great just no cross hatching. as far as the building of my engine the clearences were checked twice. the oil pump just went bad. most likely the main reason is b/c on the pick up there was a small hole in the mesh. i think a piece of trash got in the oil pump. the oil pressure at idle was not always low. i have had this engine built for two years and it just started having low oil pressure last time to the track, usualy at idle it is around 25 to 30 but last time to the track it dropped to 14 -16. the car has been run very hard lots of racing etc.. the engine is a 306 with forged lunati pistons bpm forged h beam rods stock crank. has world product heads ported and polished w 2.02 1.60 valves, 1.7 rockers. the cam is pretty radical not sure of duration but the lift is 586 with 112 degree lobe seperation. trick flow upper and lower with a vortech s trim at 14 psi, car made 550 with a c4 and went 6.7 at 101 and 10.8 at 127. car should run better now with new suspension in rear. i always use a hv pump b/c of the 7qt pan with an arp shaft.
88scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
I was refering to it's use with a large capacity pan... since that's what Edgar had just recommended in his previous post.
I was talking about a factory pan,I thought that's what 88scgt had at first,but he clarified later that he had a large capacity pan.
06 TBSS