StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

Race Tire Compund Discussion (SPLIT TOPIC: My new Bling! DUW)

Unless you're getting Kumho MX, I'd stay away from Kumho. Aside from the mx, none of their tires offer decent traction.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: My new Bling! DUW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LS1
Unless you're getting Kumho MX, I'd stay away from Kumho. Aside from the mx, none of their tires offer decent traction.

As soon as the Kumho's get hot, they get greasy!

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
tacbear
LE equipment inventor....

Quote:

The Kumho KH-11's are as good or better than the MX's, but I don't know if they come in the right size for Stang's.
tacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
99LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacbear
The Kumho KH-11's are as good or better than the MX's, but I don't know if they come in the right size for Stang's.

I really doubt that. the kh11 is a touring tire, not a performance one.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENDERO
As soon as the Kumho's get hot, they get greasy!

That's funny because I haven't had that issue and I've been running Kumho 712's on my SVO for years now...including 4 track events at TGPR and I never once felt them get "greasy" or loose....I've also got the 711's on my Super Coupe and have never had them get loose during my "spirited" driving on certain un-named roads .

Jason ran TGPR with 711's on his SVO and never complained about them getting loose either.

Maybe you guys weren't running good tire pressure or had old hardened tires....I put mine through the ringer and haven't had any trouble with grip at all. The MX's are a much softer tire and will ofcourse get better traction than the others but I just haven't seen the above complaints during much use on my own cars.

Ofcourse maybe Brandon is complaining because he was off road at the time in which case I am sure he didn't get good traction
Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
99LS1

I run 712s now. I'd say their okay, but I'm not going to buy another set. I could spend a bit extra and get a much better tire.

I ran plenty of air pressure. One event I ran 40 all around, wasn't enough. Next event I tried 45f/40r, car pushed too much, but that was bc too little rear air pressure. Next time I did 45/50, that worked pretty good. Not great, but good enough to get me around. At the end of that event the tire pressure was about the same.

Next time I did 45/50 was on a much longer course, and all tires gained 5psi by the end of the day. The car felt like crap. My fault for failing to check the pressure at the end of each run. I didn't feel the need to bc the last event I did not gain any pressure, but I'll never make that mistake again.

They sell "affordable performance" tires; i.e, okay for the money. 712s are suppose to be "ultra high perf.". I don't care for them, even with my crappy stock suspension I feel that they do not perform.

My wife's t/a has them also, and it's much easier to break them loose than the old stock tires. The older tires were the same size, and had easily 10K more miles on them! Yet the 712s just don't hold it. I bought them when I loved Kumho, now that I actually use them I don't believe they work.

I do not see how kh11s would compare to even 712s, much less the MXs when they're not billed as such.

My next set of tires will probably be Azenis. I'd like Hoosiers but the pavement here is too rough.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #7
svopaul

Brandon....I believe you were running your pressures too high. I have never run all my pressures that high at an event. I would normally run my fronts at 40-45 to start and my rears at 30-35 and then adjust as needed....ofcourse mine is a RWD car. I think your high pressures is why you didn't get any traction.

And it is normal for tires to gain pressure with heat...that is common and you must plan for it...I am always checking tire pressures during an event, I even have a Pyrometer so that I can compare temperatures and make adjustments based on that as well.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
99LS1

I know it's normal, but it's one of those things I forgot to check. I'm not going to pretend I know everything and that was a rookie mistake that I made

Max tire pressure for the 712 is 45. If you're running your fronts at 40-45, then I'd imagine that's where mine need to be too. I have a lot more going on with the front wheels so I need to keep the tires aired up so they don't flex too much. And with the fronts at 45, the rears need to be that or higher to keep it from pushing too much. I have a 1" rear sway and if I aire the tires up more it seems to let the rearend step out before the front pushes, which feels much faster. At least that's my theory. I could be wrong, I'm still learning. It seems to work out there but I could try other things.

My susp. has room to grow, as there's a lot I need to do to it.

I'm surprised your running 712s on the evo. It's a prepped car, it should be within your class to run an R compound?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Scothew
Censored Jihad

Send a message via AIM to Scothew Send a message via MSN to Scothew

I think he is running hte 712's on his teal SVO, not the Evolution.

.... Practice.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
svopaul

Yes, the Evo has Race compound Victor Racers on it

On the RWD SVOs(street cars) we would run higher pressures in the front to keep from chewing up the sides of the tires and lower pressures at the drive wheels to help keep the tires planted. An AWD car is a different animal and you will need to play with it....also different tires act differently so combinations will vary.

Also keep in mind that the surface you are driving on has a HUGE bearing on how slick your tires feel....many parking lots are sealed which is VERY bad and will be like a slick track. I had the Evolution in an autocross in KY last October and despite me having race compound tires and playing with pressures it was a like a slick track because the parking lot was a sealed one and therefore like glass! I had to change my driving style and go into "drifting mode" my second time out....brakes would just lock up the tires on that slick surface so I started drifting it around corners and use less brake and my times improved. I ended up coming in 4th out of 28 cars...had I not changed my driving to help compensate for the slick surface I would not have come in that good.