StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #11
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Re: My new Bling! DUW

I've never owned a set of Kuhmos before, but my MXs seem to be pretty sticky. Seems like a good tire for the money, though I'm seriously considering 555 RIIs for the back when I buy tires again because I don't hook for shit. It looks to me like the MXs are wearing sorta fast, though. Less than 10,000 on the fronts and they're almost down to the wear bars (yep, bald tires on the dragon again). The wear is even, so I don't think it's a problem with alignment or anything.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
... though I'm seriously considering 555 RIIs for the back when I buy tires again because I don't hook for shit.
Whoa there Cowboy, RII's have a treadwear rating of 60. Normal street tires have a treadwear rating of 250+. Those RII's won't last long on the street.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #13
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Whoa there Cowboy, RII's have a treadwear rating of 60. Normal street tires have a treadwear rating of 250+. Those RII's won't last long on the street.
I don't drive the car daily, so it should be ok. The only reason I mentioned the wear on the MXs is because they are street radials and it seemed like they didn't last nearly as long as I expected. I think I have around 10,000 miles on them.

EDIT: Treadwear rating on the MX 275/40-17 is 220.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #14
TheJeanyus
Administrator

According to Nitto's site the wear rating on the RIIs is 100.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #15
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
According to Nitto's site the wear rating on the RIIs is 100.
Whoops, it is 100. I was looking at the Victoracers (ie gluedonuts).

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #16
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Nitto even makes tires for you, Brandon.

Click here
Old 05-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #17
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

mmm, mud tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul
Yes, the Evo has Race compound Victor Racers on it

On the RWD SVOs(street cars) we would run higher pressures in the front to keep from chewing up the sides of the tires and lower pressures at the drive wheels to help keep the tires planted. An AWD car is a different animal and you will need to play with it....also different tires act differently so combinations will vary.

Also keep in mind that the surface you are driving on has a HUGE bearing on how slick your tires feel....many parking lots are sealed which is VERY bad and will be like a slick track. I had the Evolution in an autocross in KY last October and despite me having race compound tires and playing with pressures it was a like a slick track because the parking lot was a sealed one and therefore like glass! I had to change my driving style and go into "drifting mode" my second time out....brakes would just lock up the tires on that slick surface so I started drifting it around corners and use less brake and my times improved. I ended up coming in 4th out of 28 cars...had I not changed my driving to help compensate for the slick surface I would not have come in that good.

Good info. I do remember the very first event I ran this year I had 40/40. The car felt like crap, I could feel the front tires give every time I went into a corner. So I think I'm in the right ballpark

mmmm victoracers
Old 05-10-2005, 06:55 AM   #18
tacbear
LE equipment inventor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LS1
I really doubt that. the kh11 is a touring tire, not a performance one.

Go to the "Tire Rack" and compare the ratings for Wet Traction,Dry Traction,etc. The KH11 compares does very well compared to the MX even though it is a Grand Touring tire and beats alot of "Performance" tires. They are the best tires I have ever bought - so far.
tacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #19
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Normal street tires have a treadwear rating of 250+. Those RII's won't last long on the street.

Actually, normal street tires tread rating starts at 160 and goes up. Most Ultra High performance tires are going to be in the 160-260 range.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #20
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacbear
Go to the "Tire Rack" and compare the ratings for Wet Traction,Dry Traction,etc. The KH11 compares does very well compared to the MX even though it is a Grand Touring tire and beats alot of "Performance" tires. They are the best tires I have ever bought - so far.
Those are ratings from random people who you don't know their background in cars. They might buy those after their stock tires and think "wow the tread looks nice, it's a performance tire!"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r_summer_c.jsp

There's a reason why it's compared to other touring tires. Bc it's a tire designed to ride well, have good life, and allow for some spirited driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_perf_charts.jsp

And there's a reason the MX is in a performance category.

The treadwear rating is too high and there's a reason Kumho stuck it in the touring category, bc it might have some performance compared to decent tires, but it can not be compared to the MX & company. The MX is more of a tire designed strictly for performance and occasional street use, not a daily driver tire with some performance.

It might beat some tires that try to pass off as performance tires, but not any real one.