StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

gahh more problems

ok so my car is running after 9 months being down. i have it out of the shop for two days. and bam it dies going down the road. long story short it wasnt getting spark. so i changed the coil to no avail. then iu changed the distributor pickup and she fired right up. i said cool, shuit it off, and put up my tools. went to fire it back up and leave. and the fuel pump stopped running compleatly. couldnt get it to work at all. so i had to stright wire it to get it home. i said no biggie wired it to the batt. and bam the original problem came back and now it wont fire nor will the fuel pump run. ive checked everything i know to check. any idea's

and just for refrence my car is carburated with vacuum advance distributor out of an 82 model i belive. the fuel pump is a holly blue and will run when straight wired to the batt. it appears to be wired into the factory harness and comes on whenever the key is in the on position. a local mech recomended me replacing the ingnition switch because of some issues i was having with my blowermotor/turnsignals and i would have to wiggle the key for either of which to work.

any ideas?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
grabbinandstabbin

i would start by changing the ignition switch(this is a common problem with fords) and if this doesn't stop the problem go to checking grounds. bad grounds play mean tricks on these cars. hope this helps.
grabbinandstabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

thanks grabbin. anybody else ever have similar problems?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
86GTPONY
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbinandstabbin View Post
i would start by changing the ignition switch(this is a common problem with fords) and if this doesn't stop the problem go to checking grounds. bad grounds play mean tricks on these cars. hope this helps.
+1 I've had to replace the ignition switch on both my 86 and my T-bird. Gauges would go dead, blower motor would stop, turn signals would go out... but I never had the fuel pumps go out on them. The switch is easy to replace and it's cheap - then check all the ground connections. Good luck!
87 Ranger ($100 work truck)

Meat is murder!... Tasty, tasty murder.
86GTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
thanks grabbin. anybody else ever have similar problems?
I did in my Mark VII, all sorts of things would come on and go off. Replaced it and all was well....or as well as it ever was with that car.
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

ok so i just replaced it and still no fuel pump or fire to the motor. and im not sure of what all grounds need to be checked nor where they all are i know where the engine grounds are but as far as anything else im not sure. like i said above this is a carbed car. and the fuelpump is an external holley blue pump. the wires appear to be runing to a factory harness and the pump always comes on in the on position with the key. unlike the factory pump. i looked under the seat for a fuel pump relay and nothing is in the plug. but i dont think anything ever has been there since i have had the car. im kinda clueless as to what to do right now.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
93cobra1928
Dazed and Confused

Check and see if you still have an EEC relay in the passenger kick panel, if so check it for 12v...it will have 12v constant on one leg and 12v switched on another, the 12v switched is what you are looking for, it feeds the fuel pump relay

On some cars the fuel pump relay is on the strut tower.
Proud owner of 93 Cobra #1928
306ci Forged flat tops, Windsor Sr iron heads, FMS X-303 cam, OE Cobra upper and lower, 65mm tb, 70mm maf, 24lb injectors, BBK shorties, Summit H-pipe and Flo-bastards
93cobra1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
swammi
magnaflow lover

how about the inertia switch. just a suggestion!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

ill have to find the inertianswitch. and ill deff check the relay. but i dont think there is any computer left in it.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
93cobra1928
Dazed and Confused

Even if the computer is gone it might be wired thru the relay.

The inertia switch is in the hatch area near the latch behind
the right tail light
Proud owner of 93 Cobra #1928
306ci Forged flat tops, Windsor Sr iron heads, FMS X-303 cam, OE Cobra upper and lower, 65mm tb, 70mm maf, 24lb injectors, BBK shorties, Summit H-pipe and Flo-bastards
93cobra1928 is offline   Reply With Quote