StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > 2.3 Tech
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
coupe
Super Moderator

First modifications for 2.3 Turbos

I'll start it off. I'm on my 3rd SVO, so I've had a little experience with the fun and frustration of these cars.

The best initial mods for these cars consist of the following:

1)Replace the air-filter box with a straight K&N cone or for '86 models, use a 5.0L fenderwell cold-air kit (may need some modification to fit).

2)Swap the electronic boost solenoid with a manual "bleeder" valve. Allows adjustment of boost on stock turbo up into the 20psi range. Any more than that is becoming a restriction and decreases power of stock turbo.

3)Add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (5.0L style will fit) and check it with a schrader-valve gauge. Run around 40 to start with. It will gain 1 psi fuel pressure per every 1 psi boost you run. Works great.

4) Replace fuel pump (swap the duals with a single in-tank on 84 & 85 models...does require better gauge lead wire). Add a 255 into the tank on the '86 models. Installs exactly like the 5.0L setup.

5)Turbocoupe intercooler works very well and drops into stock location.
The response just before boost hits is really improved with this mod.

6)Bump timing to 13-14º or whichever seems to run the best. This procedure is exactly like the 5.0L; just need to disconnect the plug near the TFI (or splice a switch/plug into the 84 & 85 models TFI wire). Do not disconnect the TFI plug as the car won't start.

7)Replace Catalytic converter with a straight-pipe. For offroad driving only of course. This mod makes an unbelievable difference.
If money allows, buy or have made a complete 3" downpipe from the turbo to the exhaust Y (or all the way back). These exhaust mods really free-up the flow and the turbo responds much better.

This stuff is pretty cheap and can get the car into the 13's on a cool night with a little boost thrown at it. Can put around 220hp or so to the tires.