StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Doug904

3-valve cams installed and dynotuned/tested

I finally got finished with the install last night around 10pm. That's Springs, Retainers and Cams. The cams aren't hard to install or get setup in time properly at all, its the dang valve springs that make the job hard.

Well she fired right up and I went for a ride in it last night without ANY tuning adjustments other then the 93 Torque tune I normally keep in my car, for the C&L street intake, X-pipe and 3:55 gears. Drove great and when you hit 4000 rpm's WOW, it really hauls! It pulled all the way upto the shift point but I didn't wanna do any adjustments to it as I didn't know what the a/f ratio was yet so I waited until today.

I drove it 70 miles to the dyno still on the basetune and loaded a dynoloc tune to make the converter stay locked while doing the pull. The First pull out it made 298rwhp and 279 rwtq!! The a/f was close but not what I preferred so I did make some changes to it as well as playing with the timing both down low and up high. We made out best the second run with the a/f perfectly where I like it and the timing was crazy what I could add all through the RPM range, without detonation.

We ended up with 303 rwhp and 282 rwtq, up from my baseline twp weeks ago of 278 rwhp and 285 rwtq. Get this too, it was making power all the way to 6500 RPM's!!

The overall torque number was lower but the Torque gains in the upper RPM range was 20-24 Ft/lbs above 5000 rpm's and the Hp was 25-28 rwhp mainly above 4500-4800 rpm's.

The overall numbers are exactly 25 rwhp over the baseline.

The idle, well sorry guys but it does idle just like a stocker. It has a slight bit of a chop to it but nothing that screams I have a cam like the BBR's. Still with the above mods if I'm making the same Hp as the BBR cams but my torque is a a small bit lower, but of course I have an auto and the other is a manual.

Overall I'm very pleased with the cams and the ease of installation and the quality of the design. I would like to have a bit choppier idle but I can work on that later with future designs. I would like to test my car again with a C&L Racer or JLT intake to see what gains I may get from a better flowing intake. I was kinda limited on my runs today by my Aftermarket TB but you'll see that post tonight too.

Thanks!!

Doug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camdyno1.jpg (38.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg camdyno2.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)
Doug904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Nice numbers.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Nice write up Doug.
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Very nice!

I was hoping you'd say it has a little lope to it. But, as long as it's a good performer I don't guess you can complain really.