StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)

Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
triggz

Send a message via ICQ to triggz Send a message via AIM to triggz Send a message via MSN to triggz
Rear end damage video/pics

Noise started out of nowhere about 1/4 mile up the road from my house, all was quiet then "wrrrrrr" incredibly loud like a coke can stuck in a bicycle tire..

Periodically when starting to back out of the driveway after sitting overnight there would be one light 'pop' in the rear, but I figured that it was just the rear rotors being rusted and stuck.

FRPP 4.10s installed at 40k, j-mod to the trans at 50k, has 81k now. Just have basic boltons and only ran on drag radials for 5 passes one day a few weeks back. Don't know what couldve gone wrong

It looks like the damage is only on the spider gears & possibly the side gears on the axles.. if thats the case, can I just get a new spider gear set? I turned the rear over several times and never saw anything wrong with the ring or pinion.

Video of noise:
http://media.putfile.com/Differential-grind

More pics here:
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...tial%20Damage/

times
Stock rebuild 11/12/04 ....... 100shot 10/15/06
1/4: 14.08@99.32 ............. 1/4: 12.8@108
Horsepower for Charity dyno: 357rwhp/398rwtq sae
triggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Guess this means you found somebody to do the work.

It almost looks like water got in the rear. Rear end oil should not be foamy like that. A lot of times that means there is water in. With that being said...

I would inspect what caused the spider gear to break like that. Its only on rare occasions that they break. Was the slide pin and bolt still intact? Pay close attention to all of your bearings. On second thought, all of them will require replacement since there was alot of metallic flakes in the fluid. Bearings are now contaminated. If you are doing all of the work yourself, pay close attention to everything and see if you can find what caused the gears to break. Sorry if I am repetive about it but spider gears are not common about breaking especially in a auto car.

Yes you can buy just spider gears but you MAY have to buy them from Ford. Actually it probably easier and cheaper to buy another 8.8 tracloc from gefracing since your clutch packs will need to be redone as well. You can buy the whole unit from them for around $250
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
triggz

Send a message via ICQ to triggz Send a message via AIM to triggz Send a message via MSN to triggz
Actually I dont have anyone to do it, I just took the cover off today since its not driveable anyway. Let me know whenever you will be able to take the job, itll be a few weeks anyway before i scrounge up enough money to pay for it..

I was wondering about the foamyness, didnt seem right to me either.. but if water has been in there, its been for 30,000 miles- thats the last time I ever drove through water deep enough to submerge the rear.

Do you think it would be best to go with stock traclok again or look into aftermarket? I dont have a lot of (or..any, actually..) money to spend on this so I really just need it back to street/strip condition.

I will look into buying a bearing kit and tracloc.. anything else besides that i will need?

thanks lee

times
Old 11-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I would do stock. If you come up with the extra money to do a 31 spline setup, I would go ahead and do that because the 28 spline traclok and the 31 spline are the same price. Axles run around 250 I believe
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
redhorse

Send a message via Yahoo to redhorse
Was the correct fluid put back in it when you made the gear change?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Greg03Cobra

that sucks man, i have 2 sets of 28 spline axle i could sell to you cheap. if you wanted to come to oxford one day to look at. just let me know.

640hp & 600trq :Sold

2007 Shelby GT : Sold

2004 SVT Cobra Oxford White : Sold

Ricer import has become the Silver Submarine : Stolen & totaled
Greg03Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
coupe
Super Moderator

Like Lee said: try to find out what caused the breakage. Looks like foreign object may have done it. Maybe a piece of the casting inside the housing? I've seen some nasty looking casting flash in some of them. Good luck on the re-build. It's not too bad.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
keelay

Send a message via AIM to keelay
casting flash that took 80k to come loose?? and under normal driving conditions??? stranger things have happened, but imo this is a unlikely probibility. i would tend to agree with the foreign object, or even the water or moisture issue. i guess it sucks now, since he came out of the closet and all, but now has no way to meet new guys or nothin.....
grave yard: 98 gt vert
92 ranger 2.3 (resurrected with a vengeance!)
86 buick century station wagon
92 buick regal
keelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
triggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelay View Post
casting flash that took 80k to come loose?? and under normal driving conditions??? stranger things have happened, but imo this is a unlikely probibility. i would tend to agree with the foreign object, or even the water or moisture issue.
Odds are for a bearing failure and a ball bearing falling out somehow, or something causing slack allowing the teeth to mesh improperly and break that way.

times

Last edited by triggz; 02-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
CrazyInBlack
Crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
That's cute. I'm going to go upstairs and have relations with my girlfriend now.
you might want to leave the whip out, but if she is down
Liberal education has nothing to do with liberal or conservative politics. Liberal education is the simple idea of a broad and well-rounded course of study in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and the arts. The overarching goal is to liberate the mind from ignorance and superstition.
CrazyInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote