StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)

Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
GoldnGT
.RAR

Send a message via AIM to GoldnGT Send a message via MSN to GoldnGT Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnGT
Stalling under load

This started about a month ago... i was driving down the interstate and got down to about 1/8 tank of gas and the car started acting funny. I didn't think about it much at first... then it did it again and a few more times... so i started worrying about it a little bit... first thoughts was bad gas or water in the tank but neither proved to be true.

Two days ago I filled up and was on my way to work, and it started doing the same only with a full tank... it was missing and just stumbling while under load, but when i would take it out of gear it would idle fine. I got it home and listened to it and it sounded like there was a little miss.

My thoughts right now is that one of the coil packs is dying or has gone out... any thoughts or suggestions?
GoldnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Does it run fine with no load (level surface cruising) and act up as you apply throttle or does it do it all the time?
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
CrimsonGT

coil pack is a good guess
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
SvoBrown

Any lights showing on the dash. I have seen some bad boots on the few that I looked at. Coil pack will show good when you take it out but the boot has been the cause.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
GoldnGT
.RAR

Send a message via AIM to GoldnGT Send a message via MSN to GoldnGT Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnGT
only light on the dash is the SES light that has been on since i took my cats off.

It does it on flat ground too Lee. Any time i'm giving it gas in gear it does it.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

If it is missing at idle, then you probably have a cracked boot on the coil pack. You can just replace the boots and they are much cheaper than the coil packs so replace all the boots first. If that doesn't fix it, find somebody with a scanner that can read each coil pack and tell you which one is missing.

If it idles fine, then there is a good chance that the fuel filter and pump sock are clogged up. We have already run into this issue with our 01 cobra
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1
If it does it every time you drive the car and the check engine light is not on I'd make sure your check engine light does come on when you cycle the key on. I have seen alot hear lately where the bulb has been either no good or not there. I know the computer would pick up the miss fire. If that checks out I'd follow Lee on the fuel filter and sock.
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
GoldnGT
.RAR

I'll check that Lee, thanks. And I do have a buddy that has a scanner and is gonna look at it next week (just has a full schedule right now).

As far as the light, its always on due to no cats... so i can't check anything with that... yes i've been too cheap to get the MIL Eliminators.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:13 AM   #9
Blown 5.0

Fuel Pressure? Running with 1/8 tank of gas is not the best world for the pump, I have saw pumps with low milage go bad due to being overheated from low fuel levels.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
GoldnGT
.RAR

Alrighty. This is still an ongoing problem.. I've replaced coilpacks, fuel filter, injector (see below) had the fuel pressure tested by ford...

Ford even noticed (what we thought was the final cause of the problem) that one of the fuel injectors had a drip leak and said that would cause the problem. Said the drip was loading the cylinder up with fuel and the computer was leaning the bank out to compensate, which caused it to stall until the excess fuel evaporated or was burned... replaced it.... no change.

He tested the fuel pump as well and said it was fine and noticed nothing else on the computer tests that indicated anything was wrong.

As of right now the only time it really does it is when I really get on it.. But overall.. this is really starting to get on my nerves. I'm gonna take it and put it on their computer one more time but if anyone has any other ideas.. i'd appreciate hearing them.