StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
oo-gonzo

Steele 07/06 #'s Disapointing!

Went to Steele tonight with some buddies had a great time, but I am disapointed in my car, or should I say, My performance. My first run was 15.00 flat and I progressivly got worse through the night with my final frustrating run of 16.17. What tha? I need help! Heres what I know I was doing wrong. 1-coming off the line way to hot for street tires, 2-mis timing on shift to 2nd.
My excuses are 1- I have no internal lights and cant see the tac, thus meaning I am shifting by feel, which obviuosly means I suck at it. I am completely missing the rev on my shift to 2nd gear. I feel like the car hits 2nd gear and starts pulling like a bat outa hell. Strong and hard. Then I get to high RPMs (6000-6500) and feel the need to shift. When I shift to 3rd. It feels like I am hitting the brake with a little tap. The car slows down before it starts pulling.

Here is what I have on the car, so tell me if I am expecting to much from so little. 94 GT stock block, PP upper & lower intake, 70 mm TB, Mac CAI (fenderwell) MSD ignition, Accell coil, FR 9mm plug wires, K&N filter, underdrive pullies, stock headers, UPR x-pipe w/ high flow cats., stock cat back, stock gears, stock clutch, stock shifter, street tires.
I am so disapointed with this, because of the time and money invested and the car is slower than the 96 stock GT, I used to have. Watching my buddy in a stock camaro run 13's didn't help any! I feel like I have spent all this money and the car runs just like it did when it was all stock! What gives? I know that I have a lot of learning to do on the drive side of things, but damn why can't I go faster?
oo-gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
coupe
Super Moderator

3.73's, some sticky tires, and a clutch should get you to the 13's, but you'll have to get the dash lights working. You need to look at where the motor is signing off...and never rev it there. With the stock cam, it might be hurting you going past 5,000 RPM.

And drive it like you stole it. That can be worth 5-tenths!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
97cobrasvt
I got a good sugar moma

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
3.73's, some sticky tires, and a clutch should get you to the 13's, but you'll have to get the dash lights working. You need to look at where the motor is signing off...and never rev it there. With the stock cam, it might be hurting you going past 5,000 RPM.

And drive it like you stole it. That can be worth 5-tenths!

also practice makes perfect. Keep going to the track you will be cutting your times down the more you go to the track. Steven
Old 07-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I second what Matt and Steve said. Takes practice, sticky tires and shift the tranny like you don't care if it breaks.

Also, your intake and t/b are not going to net you any gains until you put heads and a cam in the car. Not saying that you wasted your money on them but they are pieces to a puzzle that you have not completed yet.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
redhorse

Send a message via Yahoo to redhorse
These other guys know alot more than I do but it is very hot to be trying to make passes. The cooler it is the better your times will be too.

Also, when I invested in some drag radials, even thought they were very well used up, it improved my times dramaticly.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
oo-gonzo

Thanks Guy's! I know that I need to work on it ( driving & the car ), but with 3.73's and slicks can the car really get into the 13's? I wanted to put heads, GT-40 p's to be exact, but I couldn't afford it at the time.
Should I work towards heads, a cam and 3.73's or should I try and hold out for a 351w that I want. Or should I just try to find an already built fox body/ coupe to trade for? lol
oo-gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Skillet
Lazy Bum

Send a message via AIM to Skillet
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo-gonzo View Post
Should I work towards heads, a cam and 3.73's or should I try and hold out for a 351w that I want. Or should I just try to find an already built fox body/ coupe to trade for? lol

Only you can decide that. There is no replacement for displacement no matter what the imports say. If you really want a 351 then hold out for it. If you buy a car already built there is no telling what you would be getting, plus it isn't any fun.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
Wickd GT
Friends

The car will run, when you decide to stay off the damn rev limiter!!! If the car feels like it slows down a bit when you shift at the 2nd to 3rd gear, you are hitting it and staying on it. Short shift, 1st-2nd at 5000 and 3rd- 4th at 5500 rpm. Your stock gears are not helping at all, to get the car moving out the gate.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Definitely need to throw some 3.73's in there
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

The replacement for displacement is forced induction

Wouldn't hurt to dyno the car either, make sure the a/f isn't too far off considering the assortment of parts on the car.